BMW Werkz banner

OSV replacement fixed oil burn but now I get code 1213

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  540John 
#1 ·
I replaced the OSV on my '95 540 that fixed a severe oil burning. The oil burn in fixed. When the car was scanned at Dinan, the codes 1212 and 1213 popped up.

After some driving, 1212 went away, but 1213 is still there. The car idles rough, but as soon as it comes off idle it runs strong with no apparent issues. The MAF and idle control valve should be unrelated to the original issue. With the ingestion of so much oil, could this affect the injectors negatively? I'm going to check/replace plugs today.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Doh, my bad! When I replaced the OSV I ordered new caps to plug the 2 unused vacuum ports. I place duct tape over the holes. The tape on the larger of the two was partially sucked in leaving a substantial vacuum leak. I did a better temp repair and all is good in 540 land.:eek: oops.

No more smoke, no more rough running and no more codes. It's runnin' like a champ. And, I didn't even have to replace the engine as the techs at Dinan suggested. I'll have a word with them.

I did notice the water hoses running from the transmission cooler were not in good shape so I have those on order and scheduled for replacement next weekend.

Cheers,
-j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.