BMW Werkz banner

One More newbie

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
Hello any and all well I have done it I've just got 1999 5 series 528i sport with 120,000 from a dealer that claims it is a certified pre-owned. it seems to be strong lots of service paperwork over the years. just a couple of small problems i would like to right.

1. the key fobs wont work the alarm or unlock the doors i've tried to reset them they seem to flash but the car doesn't respond.

2. the back-up sensors don't seem to work when the car is 1st started they seem to work for a minute then nothing.
does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Welcome to the Werkz!

If it's a CPO, then both of those issues should be sorted by a BMW dealer for free.

#4 ·
first, check your fuse box... manytimes lock problems are because of blown fuses.

2nd with the reverse lights it sounds like your reverse light switch is going bad. Its a little 15 dollar sensor on the side of your tranny which goes bad sometimes and is easy peasy to replace. just unscrew the old and in with the new.

But like what the prof. said, if they claim it to be CPO then both those things should be fixed via the dealership which sold it to you for no charge...

#5 ·
Um, salty, I think that by "backup sensors," we're talking about problems with the parking distance control.

Both of these seem to be those pesky little dead-end, must-very-likely-have-to-go-to-the-dealer type of things. If resetting the key fob is not working, I really have no idea what to try next. There may be some wiring wiring wrong with the backup sensors, but other than that I am afraid I really can't be of much help.

Also, BMW's CPO only covers up to 100,000 miles. Maybe the car was CPO at some point in its life, or maybe it just happens to have a third party extended warranty that covers up to 120k.

Despite the circumstances, :welcome to werkz :rule

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.