Odd Window Issue???? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 04:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
N2Bimmers is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Odd Window Issue????

This is my first BMW and this may be an odd question. Anyone have any experience fixing windows and sunroof not closing/ rolling up unless the driver door opens? I have a 1992 525i...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 AM
n00b

Cam_uno is on a distinguished road
Could you please explain your problems a little clearer, most of us don't speak code.

"94" 518i Touring...What to do, what to do...
#3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM
2nd Gear Member

rashid is on a distinguished road
I can understand some codes, I believe he has a problem with his electrical glasses & sunroof which is not working unless the driver door is open.

Really odd issue that requires someone understands the electrical circuit of the glasses & sunroof. If the electrical hub is within the driver door then the reason is understandable.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Sorry for the encryption... Yes, it appears that I am having some electrical issues. I've scheduled a date with the mechanic to look at the issue. It seems that my windows and windshield wipers will only work if the doors are unlocked. Simply, if I unlock my door I can operate the windows, rolling up or down. And, while the doors are unlocked, I can turn on my wipers. The minute I lock one of the doors passenger or driver side door, the windows will not operate and the wiper will not continue to swing as if I turned the car off. Hope that's a little more descriptive for you... LOL! I wanted to know if someone had a similar issue. I'm sure something like this would not be common at all.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I'd look at two things, and in the following order:
1. Fusible link (it's in a little black box on the positive lead leaving the battery); it's a metal fuse that can crack and cause all sorts of issues -- although very unlikely with your symptoms.
2. The general module (or GM for short). It's under the back seat on the drivers side under the big plastic cover ... it's a black box that sort of looks like a VHS tape; it says GM on it so you can't miss it. It controls pretty much everything electrics related ... when they go bad, they do strange things. I'd almost bet money on this being the cause of your troubles.

edit: The fusible link can be taken out and inspected for cracks; the GM you just have to replace with a known good one and see if that's it. I really doubt anyone can rebuild or correctly troubleshoot one.

#6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Torque, I'll check into it and let you all know my findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)