BMW Werkz banner

Occasional stall, uneven idle on 525i ... Help !

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nweibel 
#1 ·
Hi all

I would appreciate a bit of advice about my car, it is a 2001 525i (M54). It runs fine and idles perfectly most of the time but sometimes without warning, it is difficult to pull away from rest smoothly, I noticed when this happens that the idle speed goes up and down by itself, from a few revs up to about 1000rpm and when doing this sometimes stalls altogether.

A couple of times it seems to lose all throttle response when driving, don't know if this is a different problem.

I have checked the codes etc with inpa and it says that there are no errors, I have removed and cleaned the idle control valve as per suggestions on this forum (it was stuck). I have also checked for vacuum leaks, the small blanking plug at back of engine was split so I replaced it, I couldn't find any other leaks.

Any advice would be very much appreciated,

Cheers

Paul

#2 ·
Your fuel pump might be starting to die. Can you get logs and look at your fuel trims?
The n54 engines are notorious for having HPFP issues, and I had similar symptoms.

My idle was choppy and rough and then it stalled once the day before I went in for the HPFP recall. Once I got up to speed it drove well, but accelerating from 0-20 was rough sometimes. Also whenever I went WOT it would go into limp mode because it was running too lean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.