Nothing but Problems with 530D - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rmayo is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Nothing but Problems with 530D

Well here we go, I had the understanding that BMW built great cars but with my 530D it has been proven wrong,
I bought the 2003 530D second hand imported from France in 2006. I am an American living and working in Romania, previously an employee of Toyota for 14 years.
Now within the first month I had to replace the battery, OK maybe it was time.
Then 6 months later the Alternator went, rebuilt it but only lasted a short time. Then the inteligent battery sensor went. Replaced the sensor, another alternator, main pulley on the crank broke and replaced along with a tensioner pulley.
Then the big stuff happened, in the intake maifold there are butterfly valve at the entry of the cylinder head, they are attached to an axis by rivets. Number 6 cylinder valve broke off and fell into the cylinder, no compression.
Had to replace number 6 cylinder and rework the cylinder head. The valves were bent. This took a couple of weeks. Had the car back for a week and guess what same problem on number 5 cylinder. This time the shop decided to remove all the butterfly valves form the intake, They told me they were only needed when the engine stopped to prevent rough stopping. So ok after it was put back together there was a noise form the Turbo. Yeah thats right the turbo, new turbo 1000 euro or rebuild for 365 so I had it rebuilt. Now the condition is they tell me the turbos is working fine but when I take off with the car it has very little power in the lower gears. When I accelerate from stop it seems like the rpms go up to arond 3000 but the car barely moves. If I let off the accelerator and then re-apply it accelerates more normally.
Any ideas of where to begin woth this car?
It seems like noone here can understand or repair. They tell me to sell the car?
Who in the world would buy it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
rmayo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM
n00b

r1bby is on a distinguished road
Trouble is my friend you bought the car from France. They are world renowned for not caring for their cars, you only have to goto France to see they park bumper to bumper in the streets to know that if they don't care for the paintwork, they won't care for what's underneath the bonnet either.

Get yourself a diagnostic reader from eBay if you haven't already, this may help diagnose some of your issues and give you guidance on what to replace or the cost of the parts. Alternatively people will buy broken cars, but expect to sell it for a lot less than you want, again eBay maybe a good idea at least you will get an auction where it will go for the highest bid, also you can stick a reserve on it too.

I sold the wife's '99 Astra no tax, no mot, broken windscreen, needed rubbers on the steering arms replaced, dented body work, shabby state for £350. It would have cost me £350 to get it back on the road and I could have sold it for £700 so it hardly seemed worth doing all the hard work for no financial benefit, you need to weigh up the financials and time lines my friend, good luck!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
n00b

bmwbmc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmayo View Post
When I accelerate from stop it seems like the rpms go up to arond 3000 but the car barely moves. If I let off the accelerator and then re-apply it accelerates more normally.
It seems like noone here can understand or repair. They tell me to sell the car?
rmayo
just throwing in a guess...about the way it takes off at the traffic lights...
i recall reading somewhere that bmw as well as audis (in fact it started off with an audi) have some kind of learning algoritm that in time will adjust your car's behaviour based on the way it has been driven when the memory was all clear(not sure how many miles this learning process takes)
apparently all the high performance e39 have it as well as the x5, 6 and 7 series and it can be reset very simple: turn the key in the ignition all the way but without actually starting the engine and then keep the accel. pressed fully for 25 sec. then start your car normally. that should reset it
don't know if yours is an auto or manual cause the guys that tried this were talking about how smooth the car changes after that procedure... so it could well apply only to auto... if indeed at all
never tried it myself so i can't tell for sure
also the part with the french drivers it is kind of true...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM
n00b

lenwalton is on a distinguished road
bmw quality cars !!??

iIhad a BMW mad got so pissed of with always having problems i drove it to the scrapyard and left it there.

Quote:
Well here we go, I had the understanding that BMW built great cars but with my 530D it has been proven wrong,
I bought the 2003 530D second hand imported from France in 2006. I am an American living and working in Romania, previously an employee of Toyota for 14 years.
Then 6 months later the Alternator went, rebuilt it but only lasted a short time. Then the inteligent battery sensor went. Replaced the sensor, another alternator, main pulley on the crank broke and replaced along with a tensioner pulley.
Then the big stuff happened, in the intake maifold there are butterfly valve at the entry of the cylinder head, they are attached to an axis by rivets. Number 6 cylinder valve broke off and fell into the cylinder, no compression.
Had to replace number 6 cylinder and rework the cylinder head. The valves were bent. This took a couple of weeks. Had the car back for a week and guess what same problem on number 5 cylinder. This time the shop decided to remove all the butterfly valves form the intake, They told me they were only needed when the engine stopped to prevent rough stopping. So ok after it was put back together there was a noise form the Turbo. Yeah thats right the turbo, new turbo 1000 euro or rebuild for 365 so I had it rebuilt. Now the condition is they tell me the turbos is working fine but when I take off with the car it has very little power in the lower gears. When I accelerate from stop it seems like the rpms go up to arond 3000 but the car barely moves. If I let off the accelerator and then re-apply it accelerates more normally.
rmayo
#5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM
n00b

airflot10 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that man

Car Sponsorship
#6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM
n00b

stevecvo is on a distinguished road
It does not sound to me as if the turbo is working properly. I would start by checking all the vacuum pipe connections and make sure that the electrical connectors have all been put back correctly. Get a dealer to check whether the turbo actuator is working properly. When I had symptoms of no power the problem was cured by a new actuator and a tube at a cost including fitting of about 130
#7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenwalton View Post
iIhad a BMW mad got so pissed of with always having problems i drove it to the scrapyard and left it there.
you registered just to write that? Wow

#8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
rmayo
Reading through, I think the prob was not the car... it is the choice of shop/mechanic, and that is just unfortunate.

Internal parts of any engine are there for a reason. For a mechanic to deviate from it's original design will tell me that the mech is not competent or does not have a full understanding of how things work.

Naturally, if you take away parts from what is already a proven design, you risk a resultant reaction from other moving parts or forces from within that engine. That results in damage or erratic operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)