I finally got my driveshaft out so I could replace my center support bearing. My driveshaft is a bit different than the Bentley manual shows. There is a nut that holds the yoke that attaches to the ujoint separating the 2 halves. The nut is inaccessible without removing the ujoint. The ujoint is "staked" in, that is, held in by machine punched-in parts of the yoke rather than a circlip.
I took the driveshaft to a trusted local driveline shop I've used before and they told me that this shaft was pretty much unserviceable because of the way that the ujoint is held in.
They can get me one for $400, which is not bad compared to the $675+ shipping+exhange I've seen on-line.
When I get this fixed, looks like I'll be keeping my foot off the right pedal. I'll save that urge for my Vette.
The whole setup looks too flimsy to handle almost 300 ft/lbs of torque.
Drat! there goes the money I was going to use to pay for the 3500 stall converter for the Vette