Newbie's 525i has fuel PLOBREM - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:10 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6andhis5 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Newbie's 525i has fuel PLOBREM

Help, anyone who has any ideas. My 525 is sitting in the driveway not starting. I recently resolved (so I thought) an overfueling problem which seems to have come back on me even worse than ever. The first time it seems my fuel pump was overpressurizing the fuel line which kept blowing out the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator. It seemed like the problem was returning slowly over the last couple of months, but now I can't even get it started. Last night it ran like only three of the cylinders were firing and I couldnt step on the gas without bogging it down or stalling. i barely made it home. This morning I got it running for a minute, that's it.

My question is, besides the plugs, plug wires, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel pump, might there be something I'm overlooking? My other question is, how many new menbers, like myself, join this forum as a result of BIMMERITIS (inflammation of a BMW)?

I look forward to all the well-thought out and lucid ideas any of you can offer. I am beginning to resent the car I once loved.

THANX 4 any help,
SIX of my car:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Bentley Manual says... "The fuel pump is capable of developing a higher pressure than that regulated by the pressure regulator. In the event the fuel pump check valve is faulty (stuck closed), make sure the fuel pressure does not rise above 6.0 bar (87psi). Damage to the fuel lines or fuel system components could result."

That being said... I would first get yourself a manual... Bentley is the best... and it has a complete 'how-to" on diagnosing the fuel system... from seeing how much pressure the pump puts out... to checking fuel check valves...

Has your car thrown any codes?... Is your CEL (check engine light) on? If so... get the code read.... by someone who can understand them and fully complete the diagnosis from the codes... not all codes will tell the exact problem... but 2 codes together might point to a good conclusion...

Get it looked at by someone that has the time and tools... fuel is rather hard to work with sometimes without the proper tools and area to work with...

I wish you luck...

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 04:22 PM
n00b

RDroz is on a distinguished road
The function of the pressure regulator is to relieve excess pressure as the fuel pump supplies far more fuel than the car needs. The only way you could overpressure the regulator is if the return line was plugged. Unlikely but possible..maybe crimped when lifting the car?

Droz
#4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
n00b

tandersonnj is an unknown quantity at this point
525 fuel problem

I have a 1995 525I that has fuel issues also. They initially replaced fuel
pump. I continued to have issues like you are having....not be able to start, if it
does start it kinda stumbles along until it just stalls sout again. The check engine light came on the last time. Took it back (towed it back) to mechanic and they proceeded to blow out the fuel line (had a blockage) and replaced
the air mass meter boot, breather valve, and the carbon canister....After
all of this it now seems to run better and so far (about a week) it is OK
Hope that helps!!!!

Todd
#5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Since you mentioned wires, I'm assuming your car is a m20 version (89-90), as others had individual coils without wires. Do yourself a favor and download the Bentley manual (top of the 5series forum).

It will have more help than I can supply you with.

Welcome to BM'werkz.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Neutral Member

antose9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I suggest you check oxygen sensor. you car ir probably running rich air/fuel mixture, and I have the same problem with my 540..... turn ignition key on, stup on gas pedal 5 times and watch 'check engine" light blinking.... you should get the messaage,,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)