newbie E34-520i (1991) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schematic is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
newbie E34-520i (1991)

OK well I've sussed out this double locking in my car but now I need to know if it is fitted with an immobilizer and alarm How do I suss this out?? the Bentley manual is for the 525 etc. what is the difference between a 525 and a 520i?. so many questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
The difference between the 525 and 520 is just the .5 liters of engine displacement. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the alarm ... not sure.

if you have a on board computer and not the clock, then you do have the immobilizer. your owners manual contains information on how to activate it.

welcome to bimmerwerkz

edit: if you don't have the owners manual, i'd be more than happy to scan the part about the immobilizer for you from mine.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
newbie etc.

Unfortunately no owners manual came with the car but I'm made up with the car and don't want anyone else getting ther hands on it. well it has a clock on the dash next to the radio so I guess no Immobilizer is fitted I have bought an after market Alarm/Immobilizer so I guess I'll have to go through my wiring diagrams and fit it myself. thanks for your advice I have down loaded the service manual for reference purpose only and have the Haynes fix it force bodge it and scarper book also waiting for a CD from flea bay any tips on what I should look out for on this Model?? I must confess I never dreamed of becoming a BMW Owner just Lucky to get this. a real Bargain it's a really clean car All White!! Harry
#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Best advice I can give you is to look around www.bmwe34.net -- covers all the models and it has a great list of things to look for. (Go to Troubleshooting > What will break.)

I don't know if you want to do this, but it's possible to retrofit the OBC on your car (bmwe34.net > Upgrades > OBC Retrofit) -- as far as I know that would give you the immobilizing feature, as well as Fuel consumption, time, date, temperature, travel time remaining etc, and would look factory. Not a very expensive retrofit, but it will take a few hours.

Hope that helps.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Millions of them.

I forgot to mention this for the OBC: Your car doesn't have the outside temperature sensor fitted, so that function would be non-functional, unless you wanted to run the wiring and get a sensor for the front bumper.

Again, maybe 15-20 dollars, and a hour or so of work.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:31 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
retrofit obc

what a good idea!! can you send the owners hand book details on this then and I shall shop about for an obc must I get the obc for the 520i or will any give me the immobilozer feature??
#7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Millions of them.

read the page on bmwe34.net on the obc retrofit. it appears that there were 2 types: one for 518/520 and other for 525/530/535/540/m5, but it says any should work. it has more details over there.

i'll scan the details from the book in the morning for you -- i have some work to do tonight, and then i have real work ... but first thing in the morning, i'll do it.

#8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ref obc

Thanks for the info I've read up about it on that site but I also saw a thing about this set up having another Horn/alarm so I must look at my schematics and suss it out. thanks ta ta Harry
#9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well Torque it's a shame about the time laps I don't know if it's day or night over there maybe it's tomorrow already anyway I've located an OBC and checked under my Hood I have a spare 2pin plug affair that is tied back on my Loom on the right hand side if the Engine Compartment I think this could be for the Temp Sensor but must check out the wiring 100% first.
So how does this Immobilizer work then???
Harry.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Millions of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schematic
well Torque it's a shame about the time laps I don't know if it's day or night over there maybe it's tomorrow already anyway I've located an OBC and checked under my Hood I have a spare 2pin plug affair that is tied back on my Loom on the right hand side if the Engine Compartment I think this could be for the Temp Sensor but must check out the wiring 100% first.
So how does this Immobilizer work then???
Harry.
sorry about the scan .. just got home from work. been busy with work all weekend.

anyway, you put the key in either position 1 or 2, push CODE, enter a 4-digit code via the 1000, 100, 10, 1 buttons up top (to get 3, you push the corresponding button 3 times ... it cycles). when you have it put in, you push SR and take out the key.

If the car is started without the correct code, it shuts off ... 3 attempts and the alarm sounds and you have to wait for however many minutes to start it.

To deactivate the immobilizer, you put the key in position 1 or 2, push CODE, put in the code, then either push SR or start the car.

I have never tried it myself, but thats how the manual says its done.

edit: it stays active for 24 hours. if you lose the code, you have to disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes with the alarm sounding for it to re-activate ... or something like that.

#11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much for the info can't wait to play!! Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)