BMW Werkz banner

Newbe Here With A Few Probs

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  xgordyx 
#1 ·
Hi all just bought me a '90 e34 530 auto.
Bought it from a man about 70 miles away, drove it home everything was fine apart from occasionally sticking in 2nd. did a few more miles in it and it was parked up with the engine idling it got really lumpy and cut out. Removed the fule pump tested it, it was fine, tested the realy for it, it was fine and all fuses are fine. I've run a live wire to it atm but that's just tempory untill i can find out what the problem is, any sugestions?

The other thing is i ran the battery flat when this problem happened and now the car is stuck in third third the hole time (it still engages reverse tho) When i first start it up it's fine for a few seconds then the gearbox mode indicator goes out and it comes up on the display transmition program check owners book. Any ideas guys?

Chears
Gordy

#2 ·
XGORDYX
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your problem.

I don’t think your tranny is going south. As you may know it is controlled by a computer. When there is a voltage problem (dead battery) the computer talks to you through this “Trans Program message” and only gives you the reverse and third gears in a last attempt to keep you moving. As such your car stays alive in two gears (R plus 3rd gear). Notice your car takes long to get going when the error message is on.
Now before investing more money into it, it’s essential to know up front the fault codes stored in your computer. They may give you the EXACT reason.
But this is what I would do if I had your problem; my two cents?
A. I’ll be checking my electrical - Alternator and battery. BMWs do value their proper voltages; too many sensors.
B. I’ll take a look at both relays: the DME and the Fuel Pump’s - not much money.
C. Take a look at my gear selector switch, try to clean, if it is shot I’ll replace it. (Expensive though on my E39 about $220)
D. Transmission service and check the transmission speed sensor- about $100.
P.S. You may want to consider taking it in to a pro for another opinion. Sorry if it sounds too expensive for DIY job.
Regards
Billb

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Put a new batery in the car checked the aultenator voltage 13.9v so all seems fine on that side now. The gear mode selector switch seems to be fine also. :confused How do i pull up the fault codes? and can someone post a link to where i can get the fault code listings.
Spoke to a bmw technition he recomends changing the gearbox oil and filter but he thinks theres a good chance the box has had it, but i'm not so sure as i was told it had a recon unit fitter two year ago.
Any help would be much appreciated
Chears
Gordy

#4 ·
xgordyx: :welcome

it does almost sound like a alt. problem, but it seems u ruled that out.....
did u happen to test it in the car or did u have it tested somewhere?
do the lights dim when u start the car....try starting w/headlights on....

but u said u parked it uphill and it got lumpy....... :confused
That makes me think u may have sediment build up in ur gas tank, and it clogged up ur fuel filter...maybe even the pump too. over time, tanks start to deteriorate and if they r not cleaned, can suck all the gunk on the bottom into the filter/pump. when u park on a hill, the gas flows to the back and ur the pump will suck up a mouthful of the sediment that clogs it up. it makes it very lumpy and stalls out like u said.

my guess. fuel filter/pump
cause. they r old, and gas tank is dirty.

Mark

#5 ·
Originally posted by Speedy-325is@Nov 23 2004, 05:24 AM
xgordyx: :welcome

it does almost sound like a alt. problem, but it seems u ruled that out.....
did u happen to test it in the car or did u have it tested somewhere?
do the lights dim when u start the car....try starting w/headlights on....

but u said u parked it uphill and it got lumpy....... :confused
That makes me think u may have sediment build up in ur gas tank, and it clogged up ur fuel filter...maybe even the pump too. over time, tanks start to deteriorate and if they r not cleaned, can suck all the gunk on the bottom into the filter/pump. when u park on a hill, the gas flows to the back and ur the pump will suck up a mouthful of the sediment that clogs it up. it makes it very lumpy and stalls out like u said.

my guess. fuel filter/pump
cause. they r old, and gas tank is dirty.

Mark
[snapback]235659[/snapback]​
Hi been working alot not had a chance to get neer the pc :banghead
The car got lumpy because the fule pump stopped pumping then oviously cut out.
The fuel pump and fuel system is fine except there is no power to the pump :confused At the moment i've put a live to the pump and the engine is running fine.
I had the realy tested by at a auto electronics garage (only took the realy to them and not the car, not wanting to take the car there as my toy (Toyota supra) is there and has been for quite some time so i'm less than impressed with them and there's not any other autosparks neer to me)
I'm thinking the problem with the full pump and the auto box are related as i've seen elsewhere when the trans program messege comes up one of the things it says to check is the fuel pump realy. Just to make sure i've got the correct realy tested could someone post a pic of it.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.