BMW Werkz banner

New to this forum and BMW

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  witeshark 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and to BMW's. I have had mostly german cars in the past Audi, VW and most recently before this BMW an old mercedes. I am finding that the '89 535i that I am driving is probably the best car I have owned. That is also considering that I have driven at least two brand new cars off the lot with zero miles. Funny, but I am enjoying this car the most.
So, I just wanted to introduce myself and I hope to get pics up soon

Oh, one question: my radio is displaying "CODE". I called the dealer w/ the serial number, typed it in using the preset buttons on the radio and it dosent seem to be working. Anything I am doing wrong? Thanks, Mike

#5 ·
wild guess:

the buttons on your deck might no longer be functioning correctly. Thts why u cannot also input the correct code.

If u were closeby, my trusty laptop should be able to display the 5-digit code for you. But if frustration hasn't gotten the better of you yet, gimme your serial # and i'll see what i can do... no promises, but i will try :)

#6 ·
Great I will get the serial number for you. Thanks so much. Also if you do something that gets it going for me I promise to return the favor, even if it's only sending you some cash. Thanks, Mike

Oh, found it...

Serial # A60812803
model # CM5907

IF there is anything I can do to prove it's not stolen let me know. Ihave all the paper work for the deck, except for the two little code cards.

#7 · (Edited)
the serial # you posted isn't registering as correct... Blaupunkt units "usually" have a BP prefix, and Philipps units have a P prefix. (maybe not set in stone, though...)

Please do the following: (i need to confirm that you have the correct serial)

1) PRESS & HOLD the "M" button on the radio,
2)while HOLDING "M" button, turn key ON, and radio ON
... the radio serial should show on the display...

Please take note of that serial # and shoot it over to me ;)

#12 ·
Here's something interesting. Codes on some ALPINE radios are not based on serial #'s.

Somewhere in the back of your unit, you might find a row of 6 links(6 diode slots)... If you see this row of "links"(as they call them); please let me know which of the slots have a diode in them. and I can generate your code based on that.

* I actually learned something new from this thread ;) Thanks to u

#14 ·
I'm sorry i couldn't be of more help to you. Without the configuration of the links i can't decipher the code for you.

I can share with you my decoder though, if you wish to toy with your radio more:)

But hey, I noticed your's is a radio/cassette which does belong to a bygone era. You're prolly better off putting in one that plays CD's :)

#15 ·
the radio code is 53142 provided that its an alpine radio. if you try the code 3times incorrectly then the radio goes in to a lockout mode. there will be no indication that its in this mode except that the radio code does not work. leave the key in position 1 and the radio on and displaying "code" for 1 hour and 15 mins. Then try to input the code. This should clear the lockout mode and allow you to input the code. there is no "enter" button or any other button to confirm the code. Just enter it using the presets and the radio will come on automatically. If at any time during the entering of the code you hear a beep, stop immediately and restart from the beginning of the code.
Hope this works out for you.
Best Regards,

#16 ·
Guys thanks very much for all your help, I am going to try that code again. That is the same number I got from the dealer. It may in fact be in lock out mode, in which case I will need to leave it on for an hour. Will that kill my battery? I will do it tonight at work, I just dont want toget stuck here. Thanks, MIke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.