Just bought my first BMW and wishing I hadnt bothered at the moment! Need some help to convince me I did the right thing!
Broke all the rules with this one... bought on evil-bay without viewing and then handed over cash without a proper look ( somebody shoot me please! )
Drove 250 miles home and then next morning started making a list of all things that are not as they should be.... seller claimed everything works except aircon.... he couldnt have checked much else..! I have had a good search around the posts and picked up a few things but still short of some answers so here goes...
Car is a 1997 E39 525 TDS SE, 163k miles...
1. discovered MAF sensor disconnected... that could explain low rev performance thinks I... when reconnected its worse of course! Took off and cleaned and 'seems' to work better but still pretty unuseable below 2000rpm... Is the 525 TDS really that gutless at the bottom end or is Maf still playing up? No warning lights flashing at me but perhaps they were disconnected as well!
2. Lots of vibration if braking from 70/75mph, have read that discs run out quite often so that will be new discs/pads then hopefully.
3. A few electrical gremlins... cruise control not working, light doesnt come on so I'm guessing electrical feed not actuator fault... Stereo controls on wheel also non functional so thats all steering wheel controls out? Common problem??
4. Heated Rear Window not working, light comes on, found fuse and thats ok, again is this common... suggestions on where to look next?
5. Broken Rear coil spring... I can fix that just didnt expect to have to when it was on the MOT fail cert a month ago then passed 3 days later! VOSA will like that one!
6. Found fuses in glovebox and all seem intact but lots of empty spaces and dont have the list of which fuse does what.... if anybody has a list of which fuse does what would be much appreciated... may solve my problem no 3.!
7. Outside temp sensor varies betweem -40 and -33 degrees centigrade, as I'm wearing just a T-shirt I dont think its quite that cold! Can anyone confirm whether this (amongst other possible things) would cause aircon not to work? Also where does the outside temp sensor live? Cant see it on a quick check but I might be looking in the wrong place and maybe the wire just fell off.... way my lucks going probably not!!
8. Noisy clutch thrust bearing... ignore and turn up radio I reckon!
9. The rusty bits... worry about those when I trust it to get from A-B and preferably back again!
My previous car (Shh its a Nissan!) I would trust to take me anywhere, looks like a bought a bit of a duffer... seller not interested in talking about it ( not my problem mate! I'm not a mechanic says he) Neither am I but you dont need to be a Mechanic to feel vibrating brakes when they are this bad.. and somebody had disconnected the MAF... I wonder who did that cos it wasnt me!!!!
Any comments abusive or otherwise appreciated especially if theres a hint of places to look or a fusebox list attached... really want to like this car, looking out the front window and at 50 yards it looks good... its just some way off the 'ultimate driving machine' that its supposed to be! . Looks like a good forum... Thanks in advance..
Stoph. (as in ChriSTOPHer) for pronunciation..