New to BMW Ownership- Need Guidance - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huperetes is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New to BMW Ownership- Need Guidance

Ladies and Gentlemen.. Thanks to some great timing and BMW's generous 0.9% CPO financing option, I am the proud owner of a new to me 2010 535i xDrive. With the cold weather package, performance package and more. My only previous dip into the German Technology pool is my summer fun car a 1991 Benz 500 SL. The car so far is all I expected. I still have 4 months and 12K miles to go on factory warranty and service. Then it is on to the 6 year 100k extended. I have been through the documentation and have figured out the iDrive and a few other tech details, but much still is to be answered. I am hoping the intelligent members of this forum will be of help.

1) BMW Assist. Not alot of details either in the manuals or on line as to what is covered during the factory warranty or how to transfer it.
2) Sirius Satellite Radio - the car is prepped for it, Stealer wants 1300 for it. My best research says it is a unit some mounting hardware and a trip to a car guy with Progman to put it in the iDrive. Am I right or wrong and is there a cheaper way to add?
3) Service Intervals and fluids.. Of course everything says go to the stealer. What is the intervals for service? What oil or filters do you use? I know it is synthetic.. But more info would be nice.
4) iPhone cable? Does the USB charge the phone as well? What are these cradles they are pushing at the dealer?

I know lots of questions.. Sorry to be a pest on my first day..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
n00b

Huperetes is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Ok..got the BMW assist thing worked out.. Still looking for the sirius module. Anybody have a list of salvage places to look for one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Neutral Member

westin is on a distinguished road
well lucky guy specially on that waranty,cant help much on the module but ebay is a good place,then of to get it programed.As far as maitenance according to BMW you wont have to anything till 100k pretty much dont quote on that,excpet oil changes as far routine maintenance goes.oil changes you might have to go to the stealer or a indy and they will let you know if you do ned anything done or you can ask to get waaranty honored , but i dont know how that works exactly.oil personal preference castrol and a mann filter or puralator made by bosch now mann took over.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
As for service interverals, here is a helpful link:
BMW Inspection I & II: Bimmerzone.com

Please note that the transmission fluid is NOT a lifetime fill and its recommended you change it beween 50,000 and 80,000 miles.

As for oil, the only two brands I will put in my car are German Castrol 0w-30 (different from NA Castrol) and Mobil 1 0w-40. Both of thease are approved by BMW North America under the LL-01 Specification. I also run them all year round, winter included.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)