New battery leaking; Thank U, Sears! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Angry New battery leaking; Thank U, Sears!

Was looking inside my spare tire area today for the first time in a couple months and noticed a bunch of debris and stuff. Closer inspection revealed that my recently-purchased battery is leaking, because the aft hold-down is completely covered in white corrosion and the forward one isn't far behind! What looked like rubber plugs were eaten up, no doubt by battery acid.

So I rinsed the area with running water from a garden hose, and then added a few tablespoons of Arm & Hammer to a 16oz bottled water and poured it all over the contacts and hold-downs.

So WTF? Anyone else have this problem recently, after adding Konis/H&R's? My OEM battery functioned fine for 7 years. I bought this Sears P.O.S. battery in October 2005, so I wasn't expecting it to go belly up yet. Does the newly firmer suspension have something to do with it?

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Did you attach the vent hose properly?

Optima batteries ftw. They are sealed, no leaks, ever.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
No, I paid SEARS $30 to install the battery (at least double their normal installation charge) because of the battery's location, and so it was SEARS who never hooked up the vent line. Probably because on the P.O.S. Sears battery the vent is located too far away from the stock vent hose.

I paid Sears instead of installing it myself because the OE battery died at a most inconvenient time and so I stopped by Sears on my way to work and had them replace the battery.

I rigged up a short jumper hose tonight to connect to the stock hose. I also washed everything down with baking soda/water and then dried everything off. I then got out my zinc/galvanizing paint a painted the battery hold-down plate, which appears to have taken the brunt of it.

Bastards. There's another battle I have to go fight, as if I didn't have enough crap to wade through at work...

#4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
Did you attach the vent hose properly?

Optima batteries ftw. They are sealed, no leaks, ever.
Which Optima P/N did you get? Do you have an E39? If not, does your car take the same battery? I am ready to TOSS the POS Sears batt out the window and get an Optima. It may be too late as the corrosion process has already gotten a jump start back there....

#5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
I use Interstate and they have never given me any problems.
Costs me about $85

#6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:44 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I just checked my bat since I replaced it 3 months ago. I used "Duralast", $65. No problem so far!

LOS
#7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Neutral Member

wesmyth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wesmyth Send a message via Yahoo to wesmyth
battery mat

Once you get all your corrision fixed you might want to get a battery mat. Just a suggestion.

I think I have found(own) the beaten foster child of 318's.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 12:36 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Which Optima P/N did you get? Do you have an E39? If not, does your car take the same battery? I am ready to TOSS the POS Sears batt out the window and get an Optima. It may be too late as the corrosion process has already gotten a jump start back there....
I don't remember what Optima I bought; it was a yellow top. It doesn't fit properly in my E36; I had to jerry rig a custom mount for it with some wood, but it doesn't move anywhere. I don't know that Optima makes any batteries that fit BMW's perfectly, but the nice thing about having all that room in the sidewall of an E39 is that you have some space to work with (I used to have an E39).

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I went to Sears today, and asked to talk to the manager. I was told they currently HAVE no manager of Automotive and so I had to talk to the senior guy there, Jerome. At least Jerome has an E39, complete with some CHROME rims. I was very businesslike and respectful to Jerome and explained that I wanted a proper vent hose installed AND I wanted Sears to pay for a professional paint shop to treat/repair the now-rusting sections of my battery/trunk area.

After taking my car to the back to inspect it, Jerome emerged, explaining that he'd installed the vent hose, but that he saw corrosion above the battery, which would rule out the battery as the cause. When I asked him to point it out to me, I explained that what he saw was the white residue of my water/baking soda mixture splashing everywhere.

At a Mexican stand-off at that point, Jerome gave me "Mike's" phone number. Mike is their "loss prevention" guy. It's a job I once had at my previous company, so I think I can effectively explain my case to Mike. I'll re-post once I see how that goes. I took some photos tonight of the mess and of the massive rust stains in my driveway and on my garage floor. Will post later.

#10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:15 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Here are some photos post-cleanup. This is basically what the Sears guy saw today. It looked much worse last night when I discovered the problem. As you can see from the rust stains on the driveway and in the garage, that baking soda mix that I poured in there washed a LOT of the corrosion away...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt Corrosion 6-13-06 small.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	24120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk Corrosion small 6-13-06.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24121   Click image for larger version

Name:	garage floor rust small 6-13-06.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	24122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway rust 6-13-06 small.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	24123  

#11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
That's bad, I'd be mad too. I hope they settle the dispute and fix your car for you.

#12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
dude that sucks, I really hope sears will make it right with you...that's just not right!

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

thejobman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thejobman
I got that same battery for my car last week from sears as well. (see my prev post)

It came with an extension vent hose tube w/ and an adapter, but the incompetent Sears personnel probably discarded it. Retards. That is why I try to do my own work, when possible.

Hope they make things right for you...

Sportbike Rear Camera Systems! www.MotionalEyes.com

1999 BMW 540i 6-speed - M Sport Package

CHECK OUT MY RIDE @ CARDOMAIN.COM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)