I just replaced my original battery.
Some interesting points:
1. Try to start the car and would only click, click
2. All interior & dash board lights were lighting up, but.... I noticed the TIME on the clock was gone!
3. Replaced the battery with Duralast 49DL (Autozone in Calif). $59.99. Perfect fit.
4. It took approx. 1/2 hour. The most difficult time was trying to lift the old battery out. The sucker weights a TON!.
5. NO resetting was required for anything (keys, doors, radio, etc). The only thing I had to reset was the time/date.
Hope this can help others in the future!
1997 540IA 79800K miles
One more thing, I just had pixels fixed on my 840ci thru BMWNA... I got the same deal as my 540i, paid for labor & half for the part
Last edited by LOS; 03-03-2006 at 10:43 AM.