Need some help/advice - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
steve535i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My 1991 535i has been garaged for a few months, I started it periodically and, suprise, eventually battery went dead. So... I tried to jumpstart it and it cranks, but wont fire. Do I need to fully charge the battery, or do I potentially have other problems as well. It was running fine beforehand, and I am not mechanically inclined enough to be able to diagnose this problem. Note battery was dead enough radio needs to be recoded. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:04 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Steve 535
Very simple...go out and buy yourself a NEW BATTERY and start the car...no jumping please on BMWs (try not to give a jump or take a jump) unless it is absolutely urgent, always use the bolt mounted over the engine with (+)
if you keep going after a dead battery with charges/jumping for sure some of your electronic components will fail you too.

Irrespective of who jump who on the BMW ALWAYS turn on headlights and AC/heater fan before disconnecting the jumper. This is to listen any possible electrical surges caused by the sudden impact of removing a load from a charging electrical system (think your PC at home during/after a power supply sag/surge

New battery is your answer..sears $100, Kmart $60, BMW dealer? ...please call them but don't buy it!!!

NOTE: Although your car is 1990s that does not mean the battery is also 13 years old; may be it was replaced by someone recently (ex-owner/you)..so why don't you take a look at it check the date engraved on the battery itself--some of these batteries have 60 months warranty/prorated etc etc.
regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 04:09 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
It's turning over but not firing???

Just a thought - Is there any gas left in it??
#4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:59 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Gas is a good possibility but I am assuming: 1. at least 1/4 of tank..it is NOT TOO HEALTHY to drop below that; and B. Steve535 is aware of how much gas he has. Still you need a good juice to cold start a dead battery b/c the charging battery may be weak too. Also I took into account the possibility of a cheap/old jumper cable. You'll be surprised to know how much juice is lost between the jumping/the jumped batteries due to a cheap cable; as such buying one of these portable chargers is a good idea. I am talking a $45 Strauss/Sears type of a deal I used it many times to help co-workers, never failed me. No way on earth you'll catch me giving a jump directly from my Bimmer!

Note: Steve535..before investing in a new battery consider borrowing one from another car (friend, wife, anyone) try it then you'll get the final answer.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:58 AM
n00b

steve535i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
K Thanks a lot for your help...The battery was giving me some trouble earlier so I will look into replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)