Need help with subwoofer install - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sema4 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need help with subwoofer install

Hello werkz - first timer alert...

My car is a 525i sport touring, nov '02 with about 38k miles on the clock. I'm pretty happy with it...

I need some help with my sub install... I'm replacing most of the audio components in the car - so i have 4 13cm component sets and i'm going to do the door midbass and tweeters in the front, the door tweeters in the rear and the roof midbass in the rear. Happy about doing that, not a problem.

I'm also going to do a DICE install, going to put the ipod in the tray under the centre armrest. Happy about that.

However, when it comes to the sub i'm more than a bit stuck. It's a BSW one, and their manual talks about taking wires from the amp... which I don't have. Apparently my amp is in the head unit or something. So I have some questions / options.

Option 1 - put the LOC in between the rear roof speakers, feed the sub from the line output of that.
Problems: i have no idea where the remote-on for the amp will come from. I also have no idea how I would go about taking the fuzzy felt from the roof off (is that called the headliner? sorry i'm not very technical when it comes to mechanical stuff)

Option 2 - splice the LOC in directly behind the head unit.
Problems: I don't know the best way to the back of the car from there, and i still don't know where i would get the remote-on for the amp from.

Option 3 - take it to a garage that i trust and get them to help.
Problems: Would cost money and make me feel like a failure.

Would rather avoid option 3...

Can anyone help me with this? Wiring diagrams or anything like that I can be pointed to would be very much appreciated.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Option 1 or 2 would work. I would prefer 2 just because you may want to replace the headunit in the future and would have to re-run the RCAs at a later date. You might as well do it at once. As far as getting the remote lead, there really isnt one. You just need to hook it to the ignition lead and if you replace the headunit later, move the remote to the remote lead on the new headunit. Running the wires is kinda difficult in all of these BMW's. The best way is to run it down the edge where the carpet meets the plastic door sill. Take those off and pull the carpet back a little. Run it all the way back to where you are going to put your sub. Good luck...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 06:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

I am guessing that there must be a remote on that I can steal somewhere behind the head unit, because it only turns on when the ignition is turned on?

So could I use the power to the existing head unit as a remote on for the sub amp?

I don't think i'm going to be replacing the head unit though, as i've had enough stick from the missus about getting the speakers!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah thats where I was thinking, the power for the stock headunit that turns on/off with the key. Tell the missus that it'll get better gas mileage , or that it was on sale . Ya gotta speak their language. Good luck with your install...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 PM
n00b

rdoctor is on a distinguished road
buy yourself an aftermarket high-low converter with a remote tuen on lead coming out. They create a remote turn on using the speaker outputs to your speaker and gives you a line level input for an aftermarket amplifier.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ok so i'm locked on to option 2.

About the LOC with remote turn on - i looked for one, but it was a bit sketchy on details - do they work well in very quiet passages of music?

I can see the benefit - amp is on whenever music is on & consequently off when stereo is not on, saving power when chatting etc, and 1 sec delay eliminates pops...

but... i don't want the amp to go off because there is a 2 second quiet section of music, then for the amp to come on late on a drop...
#7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
...oh... and does anyone have a pinout for the connector on the back of the mid/obc? I haven't got around to having a look at it yet, so if i need to let you know specifics, tell me and i'll have a butchers...
#8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
da_administrator

I've not ever used the one rdoctor is talking about. I would assume that may or may not happen. It may have some sort of delay, not really sure.

#9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM
n00b

hi low converte/w remote turn on

I use the "trunk-loc" pac rca converter/w remote in my 5 series Bmw and it works just fine no delay and everything was connected from the left rear of my trunk in about ten min. Made the complete amp install for subs about twenty mins to complete. The converter has adjustable input controls for each channel it costs me about $28. small price to pay compared to having a shop do the same thing and charging you $40 for the same part and hiding it so you don't know not to mention the $50 labor charge oh did i mention leaving your car all day for a twenty min install. ( I used to do installs at a high end stereo shop.)
#10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM
n00b

Hey you also can get a wire diagrm for you car at circuit city or call crutchfield they might give it to you over the phone . or just tap into the visible rear speaker leads neatly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)