My New Used '95 525ia touring - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
walt525tour is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Wink

I am new to the forum.

Well, I have been debating for months whether I wanted to put out big bucks for a brand new Dodge Magnum. I have a 96 Windstar that has over 140,00

the big bucks and long years of payments frightened me.

Took my wifes 99 328ia in for an oil change at the dealer -- I test drove a beautiful used/ turned in on lease '00 528 touring that I loved back in may. But, it too would have good size payments for years to come and only a year of extended warranty.

Then this past sunday i spy a 95 525ia touring with 120k in the paper for $7500. Ah I thought take a look maybe it's in good shape.

So wow it looked good yea some wear, but well taken care of and hardly driven for the past year, the owner bought a brand new 03 525 wagon, so he obviously loves these cars.

I lucked out, his college age daughter who he passed it down too when he bought the new one last year, thought it was an old peoples car and was embarrassed to drive a wagon so my gain - I got it for $6400

It cleaned up real nice and I spent 100 bucks to recharge AC.

So far so good. previous owner is supposed to give me repair records so I can see what has and hasn't been replaced.

Must I use only premium gas? Manual says 89 octane, that's mid; premium is 93.

Shocks, brakes, belts, hoses, ? Anything else to keep an eye on?

Years ago, I owned a '76 Audi Fox that I did all the work on.
I'm looking for a good price on a Bentley manual

Tell me about routine maintenance on these things.

1- Oil - it has regular oil in it. My wife's is synthetic. suggestions?
- change how often? longer is better, if that makes a difference in what kind.
- filter? someone suggested only BMW

1a - Is there oil in the differential at the back axle that needs changing?

2 - Air filter - again, how often? what kind?

3 - Is their an interior cabin air filter? Where?

4 - Trans fluid and filter?

5 - BMW suggest changing the brake fluid?

6 - fuel filter, how often? how expensive are they?

Things I have found so far.

Thankfully the full huge sunroof works, kinda neat it opens back or front. Opening the back is kinda nice for me since I'm bald

No cup holder? Anybody find a useful contraption to accommodate soda cans and coffee cups?

The glove box is hard to open. Is there a trick to fix it? Would a new latch help?
I'll probably just live with it.

Check my front end pic - I live in NJ and need to put on a front tag, is that a costly dealer item? or do I have other options, there appear to be a couple of grommets missing.

The rear hatch window was popping its latch when I hit the first bump, I bent the metal catch to fix it. Is there supposed to be a hydraulic support on that window or just on the full hatch?

The front seat rocks just a little maybe an 1/8 or 1/4 when stopping. Is there a bushing that wears out? I looked underneath and didn't see anything.

Oh well this is a good start for now. B)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walt_s__95_525.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	10980  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
ok i'll go in order you posted questions.

first of all, i have to say that e34 touring is one wagon i wouldnt mind driving although i am 17. by the way i have a 90 525ia. you dont have to spell out touring every time. you can simply say 95 525iTA.

you can get bentley manual on eBay....cheapest there.

1. They recommend Mobile 1 synthetic. I personally use normal 10-w-30 penzoil and change it every 3k miles along with the filter...

1a. not sure.

2. I just change my air filter when it looks dirty. It costs like 10 dollars and 2 minutes... so check it and change it if needed.

3. not sure on the interior filter.

4. I think your car has a sealed tranny unit... you cant change or check. it should be lifetime.

5. I believe it's every 2 years for brake fluid... owners manual should state the exact interval.

6. Fuel filter is like 10-20 dollars (not sure), but www.racingking.net has them (if they are still in business)... if not then bavauto.com

glad to hear that the roof is working out for you

not sure about the plate... mine wasnt missing anything when i bolted on my bmw marque plate.

dont know about the hatch window...i dont have a touring

as for the glovebox, mine seems out of place on the right side...looks weird when i look at it from the drivers seat.

rocking seat fix: http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/rockingseatfix.htm

sorry about the ones i had no clue on...

#3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
i forgot.. for the oild filter i use fram extra guard. seems to be working ok so far (like 4 oil changes since i've been using those).

#4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:15 AM
n00b

HandJuice is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2 cents: If you like your car/vehicle I would never use a fram filter. Fram is pure crap. The best filter made is the Purolator Pure One with micron filtering. I try to use that whenever possible but they don't offer it for my '99 540i so I buy stock. As for oil, I like the Mobil One 0w-40. Good luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear Member

frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Mobil 1 15-50 in my '95 525...no problems. Also use mid-octane (89) and have no problems...just like the manual says.

<span style='color:green'>1994 325i </span>- - - 75,000 mi.
No mods - - - very happy as is!
<span style='color:green'>1995 525i </span>- - - 154,000 mi.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Millions of them.

I use premium.

#7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 02:39 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by HandJuice@Aug 13 2004, 11:55 AM
My 2 cents: If you like your car/vehicle I would never use a fram filter. Fram is pure crap. The best filter made is the Purolator Pure One with micron filtering. I try to use that whenever possible but they don't offer it for my '99 540i so I buy stock. As for oil, I like the Mobil One 0w-40. Good luck.
Mobil 1 is the shit.

Be prepared however, it could clean "too much" gunk out of your engine, and off your seals, generating a leak.

Personally I'd rather have the engine clean and know about the leak.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 01:37 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
For the oil - i use 20w-50 non synthetic, but thats because I have the m20, that would be too thick / heavy in your car.

For the cup holders, there used to be a guy on ebay who made some great cupholders for the e34. search for cupholder e34 or something similar. Either way, the center console piece can hold a small - medium soda if wedged in

The interior air filter is behind the climate control face plate, kind of hard to get to but here - should help you out : http://216.97.77.38/HTMLFiles/Menu3/Menu38...rofilterR&R.htm

Fuel filters run about 22.00 at the dealer and should be replaced about every 30 - 60k. It really depends on how much gunk is in your tank I guess.

NEVER touch the tranny. at all.

If shocks have never been replaced, they are most likely shot. BOGE is OEM, check bavauto.com for a good prices.

Other than that - gorgeous car! I love the wagons with the wide grill and hood!

good luck and enjoy your car!

#9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Millions of them.

Fuel filter 12 from www.racingking.net !

#10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:37 PM
n00b

MondoFuego is an unknown quantity at this point
I HAVE 95 525IA SEDAN - CALYPSO RED - 56K MILES. MOST BEAUTIFUL SEDAN EVER. WE CALL HER "QUEEN MARY". YOUR WAGON IS BEAUTIFUL TOO. SEE MY ANSWERS AND SUGGESTIONS IN BOLD BELOW:

1- Oil - it has regular oil in it. My wife's is synthetic. suggestions?
- change how often? longer is better, if that makes a difference in what kind.
- filter? someone suggested only BMW

1a - Is there oil in the differential at the back axle that needs changing?

2 - Air filter - again, how often? what kind?

3 - Is their an interior cabin air filter? Where?

GO TO THIS WEB SITE:

http://216.97.77.38/HTMLFiles/Menu3/Menu38...rofilterR&R.htm

HAVE FUN.

4 - Trans fluid and filter?

5 - BMW suggest changing the brake fluid?

6 - fuel filter, how often? how expensive are they?

ON ALL THE ABOVE, CALL YOUR LOCAL BMW DEALER, ASK FOR SERVICE ADVISOR, AND ASK QUESTIONS. MOST OF THEM WILL BE GLAD TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS WITHOUT ANY COMMITMENT FROM YOU TO BRING THE CAR IN TO THEM. JOIN BMW OWNERS CLUB SO YOU CAN GET DISCOUNT ON PARTS FROM BMW DEALERS.

Things I have found so far.

Thankfully the full huge sunroof works, kinda neat it opens back or front. Opening the back is kinda nice for me since I'm bald

No cup holder? Anybody find a useful contraption to accommodate soda cans and coffee cups?

STOP AT STARBUCKS OFTEN.

The glove box is hard to open. Is there a trick to fix it? Would a new latch help?
I'll probably just live with it.

SPRAY LOCK & LATCH MECHANISM WITH WD40.

Check my front end pic - I live in NJ and need to put on a front tag, is that a costly dealer item? or do I have other options, there appear to be a couple of grommets missing.

BMW DEALER SHOULD HAVE FRONT PLATE BRACKET AT REASONABLE COST.

The rear hatch window was popping its latch when I hit the first bump, I bent the metal catch to fix it. Is there supposed to be a hydraulic support on that window or just on the full hatch?

NOT FAMILIAR WITH WAGON VERSION.

The front seat rocks just a little maybe an 1/8 or 1/4 when stopping. Is there a bushing that wears out? I looked underneath and didn't see anything.

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM ... WILL CHECK IT OUT & SEE IF I CAN FIX IT & WILL LET YOU KNOW. IF I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, I WILL ASK MY DEALER.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INVESTMENT. TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT WILL LAST YOU MANY YEARS. IF THE PAINT BEGINS TO GO OVER TIME, BUT THE BODY & ENGINE IS STILL SOUND, IT WOULD BE WORTH GETTING A QUALITY PAINT JOB DOWN THE ROAD. THEY AIN'T MAKING THESE BEAUTIES ANY MORE, AND THE NEW 5s ARE BORDERLINE UGLY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)