My Gongs Gone...... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 09:57 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
machinehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to machinehead Send a message via Yahoo to machinehead
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

for some reason the warning gong has stopped working but the display still shows the warning ok. the part number for the sounder is 65.81 8 350 349 but I cannot find this listed.

I checked the 12v feed and that is there fine. there are 3 other terminals T1 T2 and T3 which I guess trigger different sounds.

I guess this is not a comman problem?
Does anyone know how to test the device, or the wiring?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_gong.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	14376  

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>because life's too short not to..........</span></span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by machinehead@Nov 13 2004, 10:57 AM
for some reason the warning gong has stopped working but the display still shows the warning ok. the part number for the sounder is 65.81 8 350 349 but I cannot find this listed.

I checked the 12v feed and that is there fine. there are 3 other terminals T1 T2 and T3 which I guess trigger different sounds.

I guess this is not a comman problem?
Does anyone know how to test the device, or the wiring?

[snapback]229979[/snapback]
u mean the thing making the ding when you move off and your door is open and such ?

#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
That's exactly the thing I mean

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>because life's too short not to..........</span></span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:27 AM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, that things annoying
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
the thing is, I actually want it to be working!

#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
what's weird is that i just finished checking the online parts catalog and that part is not listed (at least not under the number thats on the back of it).

#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Millions of them.

i'll call a local dealership monday and ask about if they know how much it is and what the actual part number is... just tell me what year ur car is.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
it a 1993 525i e34. A German website I looked at (search Google with the part number!) had the same thing, pt no. not listed. its not in my listing either.

must be somewhere, trouble is I have no wiring diagrams, nor info to test.

it only stopped working after the last service - I don't know if it can be turned off some how?

#9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Torque, how did you get on with the local dealer?

has anyone elase got any idea on this?

#10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:52 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
[attachmentid=15142]

This attachment help? Of course the first thing to do would be to check fuse #20 then go from there.
Good Luck
DT

P.S X518 is the 4-pin black connector, X522 is the 3-pin white
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chime.pdf (266.6 KB, 194 views)

DT

#11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
fuse is ok, this does the clock if I'm right, and there is 12v on the white connector too and ground too.

At least I know now from the diagram that the terminals T1 through T3 are grounded to trigger the appropriate sound. I will try earthing each through, say a 10K ohm resister and then reduce this, to see if I can get them to trigger a sound from the Gong, if I cant get a sound then I guess that the Gong must be dead, otherwise the loom or the OBC is at fault, bugger.

Thanks for the diagram tho

#12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
You're Welcome,
Sounds like you're very competent with electrical, Im sure you will get this fixed easily.
Good Luck,
DT

DT

#13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, I've eventually got time to have another look....

12v is supplied OK. Earthing any of the terminals T1 through T3 produces no sound what so ever from the device - guess it must be dead. Will try and find one on Ebay or somewher and try substituting it, unless anyone has any other ideas?

#14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, still no sucess on this one. My brthoer has two E34 525's now, an earlier 12v and newer 1992 24v M50 (same as mine) neither have a working gong. Having searched other forums too there does seem to be various carsthat have this working,or not. I'm reluctant to buy a 2nd hand gong as this may/maynot work!

Does anyone know whether the gong units fail on a regular basis or whther its a frequent OBC failure? Is there possibly something that could have been set/reset at the last service, even if in error, that has disabled the gong? Its annoying as I've nearly got out and left the lights on when the mornings have been semi-dark (enough to use lights to be seen, rather than to see, if you know what I mean...)

PS: Happy new year to you all

#15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 04:12 PM
n00b

kcld is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finished repairing my gong. There is a 2", 8 ohm speaker in the bottom of the plastic housing under the printed circuit board. Mine appeared OK but when I simply replaced the small speaker, the gong works fine now. If you look along the sides of the plastic housing, you will see small tabs you can push in with a screwdriver to remove the circuit board to gain access to the speaker. I got mine from:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...-820&type=store

But a 2" PC speaker should work.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)