BMW Werkz banner

my car turns off whenever i slow down =/ HELP

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AngelMoo 
#1 ·
i have a 2001 525i. i just got it back from the dealer for an oil change and safety inspection. they said my car is fine. well this happened 2 times in one day about a week ago and has been happenin a few times (4) today and yesterday. here are the things that are "weird" with my car so please help me out and tell me whats wrong and what i should/can do about it...

1) whenever i start up the car, it seems like its taking more juice then usual to start it up. spark plugs maybe? battery also?

2) when i pull out of a parkin lot and wait for traffic to clear so that i can pull out, when i do pull it, it accelerates jux a bit (like 2 seconds) then jux totally turns off and the power steering goes away, therefore the fucker turned off. so i have to put the car back in park (automatic) and then restart the car.

please help me asap.

#4 ·
sounds like the idle control valve is giving you problems. if you're still under warranty take it in and have the stealer diagnose it for you. if not you can clean the ICV yourself. send me an email if you want to try it yourself.

#7 ·
Similar thing happened to me after a sevice, the car would stop at low speeds, ie parking and I'd have to restart it. I think the guy turned down the idle so I'd have to go back & spend more to fix it.
Anyway mine's an '83 528i and the switch is easy to find (using the manual) and can be turned up or down with a screw driver, it's probably more complicated on a newer car but worth a try if it isn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.