my 528i has the flu. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Lucky is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay.

I went for a drive the other night on the winedy roads. Was quite nice with the half wet half dry streets, only had DSC on for half the time.
Anyway, right after I was done, I filled the car up and right when i started it, I feel some vibration from the bottum of the chassee. Then when I slowly take the gas, it has a deep sound to it. It only happens in Drive and when im starting off in Tiptronic. When I am at a traffic light, i am holding down the brake peddle- well the vibration grows throughout the cockpit floor. Its not really dramatized vibration, but the car feels like an M5 or something powerful. The thing is, is that you dont hear it outside the car, only in the interior. So this morning I take to the dealer i bought it at, and they have no clue, but told me to take it back on Tusday. I checked the oil and it was fine, and the gas is full I dont use cheap gas for any of my cars...
If someone knows, please update me. Because another forum a friend of mine goes to told me otehrs have this same vibration problem, if the car's oil is bad, or fuel is cheap. But thats not the case with me... my car doesn't sound damaged, just different... it sound beefier than usual, as if its go some sort of intake....

Thanks in advance.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:blue'>2000 BMW 528i </span>(mine)
.5spd Steptronic/Auto, M5 sports package
.Silver on Black leather
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:blue'>2003 BMW 330cic </span>(wife)
.6spd manual, sports package
.Alpine white on Sand leather
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:red'>2003 Porsche 996 Targa </span>(toy)
.6spd manual, 18&quot; sport classic, w/ Pzero, dual exhaust tips.
.Atlas grey on &quot;boxster&quot; red leather (like imola)

-<span style='color:gray'>2004 BMW Z4 3.0</span> (daughter) *coming*
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
Lucky, have you noticed a decrease in RPM at idle (idle speed lower)? Or even an increase? How many miles on the car?
I'm theorizing that what you are hearing is vibration (oscillation) and not necessarily a throatier exhaust note, which could be many possibilities... idle characteristic change (typically a low idle), transmission mounts, engine mounts or exhaust hangers. Without being there in person to personally experience your complaint, it's hard to tell you a direction to look but I would have the dealer look towards the engine mounts first. I have seen several of the 5 and 7 series crack the passenger side engine mount and a few on the driver's. The passenger side is a little longer and more brittle so it's usually the one to crack. However, this may not even be your problem. You may actually have an issue within the transmission or a broken exhaust hanger.
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
EXtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Lucky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by EXtech@Feb 8 2004, 02:22 PM
Lucky, have you noticed a decrease in RPM at idle (idle speed lower)? Or even an increase? How many miles on the car?
I'm theorizing that what you are hearing is vibration (oscillation) and not necessarily a throatier exhaust note, which could be many possibilities... idle characteristic change (typically a low idle), transmission mounts, engine mounts or exhaust hangers. Without being there in person to personally experience your complaint, it's hard to tell you a direction to look but I would have the dealer look towards the engine mounts first. I have seen several of the 5 and 7 series crack the passenger side engine mount and a few on the driver's. The passenger side is a little longer and more brittle so it's usually the one to crack. However, this may not even be your problem. You may actually have an issue within the transmission or a broken exhaust hanger.
I haven't noticed decrease in RPM, the car just sounds generally louder. Sort of as if it had an intake, or it was modified in another way. It drive completely normal, brakes are fine and everything else runs well, its just the sound ... I am quite confused, because it is on and off. Sometimes the sound is really extreme, other times it is abit less extreme. Anyway, it is going to be service this Tusday, I am just curious.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:blue'>2000 BMW 528i </span>(mine)
.5spd Steptronic/Auto, M5 sports package
.Silver on Black leather
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:blue'>2003 BMW 330cic </span>(wife)
.6spd manual, sports package
.Alpine white on Sand leather
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:red'>2003 Porsche 996 Targa </span>(toy)
.6spd manual, 18&quot; sport classic, w/ Pzero, dual exhaust tips.
.Atlas grey on &quot;boxster&quot; red leather (like imola)

-<span style='color:gray'>2004 BMW Z4 3.0</span> (daughter) *coming*
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)