my 1990 535 is overheating at idle - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
luckyguy98 is on a distinguished road
my 1990 535 is overheating at idle

on and on with this problem.... had the headgasket and water pump replaced 2 yrs ago still overheated had it out with the shop almost $2500.00 later, i got fed up and put it in storage. recently got it out thinking that since it is overheating at idle, reading that it might be the fan clutch i replaced it.... still overheating I'm wonering what's next on the check list? I love this car it's got 340k miles on it and has been i the family since new but this overheating think in texas in summer is about to wear me out. what else can i do aside from taking it to bmw and paying them my left arm and right leg to try to fix it? can anybody help?
luckyguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Thermostat and/or bleeding the coolant system might be a good and cheap place top start. If its sat for two years, I'd want to replace the coolant while I'm at it. These cars take MULTIPLE times of bleeding the coolant system before they are right. Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
^ yup...

it's summertime ;-) try and remove thermostat; load coolant(plain water will do to test) make sure you bleed and make sure you purge any air pockets from ur cooling system. Best way is to squeeze the hoses while you bleed to help purge the air. Squeeze the hose/s and hold them one last time before u close the bleed screw. And retry...

... you still have overheating after that... invest in a new radiator...:-)
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 85 BMW 320i, Dodge ram 4x4 pickup
Photos:
Classic320i is on a distinguished road
OK let try the least expensive fixes first! 1. Cant not stress the importance of bleeding/purging air out of the coolant system. 2. Replace the coolant system pressure cap ( check for gasket and seal on the cap for cracks or tears without a tester you cannot chk for the amount of pressure it will hold) 3. If you have a stuck ( closed) thermostatic it would overheat all the time! 1 & 2 has been checked and passed, Problem would be internal. 3. Check your tail pipe when running in morning, if there is any coolant in the combustion there be vapor and most like you can smell it! Otherwise I recomend you find a shop with a well season mechanic that is experiance w/ Bmw over heating problem it shouldnt take him no more that 1 hrs to pin point the problem.. ( Taking it to a BMW shop wont help if the mechanic are not season it like a dart game to them if not!

Good Luck!
Classic320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
luckyguy98 is on a distinguished road
this forum rocks

thanks to both of you! i took both of your advise flushed and replace the coolant squeezing out as much air as possible. the car is sitting in my driveway idle-ing for 20 minutes and it is 90 degrees + in johnson city texas
temp on the car is straight up in the middle thank you both again for shaing your knowledge and experience
luckyguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
glad that helped. I should have given you this link at first. It's a good read: BMW E34 Website : Coolant replacement

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1990 535I
Photos:
gabriel418 is on a distinguished road
I Feel Your Pain Lucky I Had The Same Problem Didnt Spend As Much Money As You But After Changing My T-stat And Water Pump Which I Did Myself I Think The Only Problem Was Bleeding The System After That My Needle Stayed In The Middle 180-185 Degrees I Love My Bimmer
gabriel418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)