BMW Werkz banner

Multiple "misfire with fuel cut off" codes could that mean faulty fuel pump?

22K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Liam m54 
#1 · (Edited)

I recently took my girlfriends 525i in for a service at the time the service indicator came on the check engine light came on also. The dealer serviced it and told me that they could not accesses the fault codes for the check engine light but I would have to pay an additional $200+ for that a service. Pissed-off because I just paid $450.00 for the complete engine service and they could not even tell me what needs to be fixed, I went across the street and bought the scan tool. Here is what I got.

P0313 Misfire Detected Low Fuel Level
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1349 Misfire Cylinder 4 With Fuel Cut-off
P1351 Misfire Cylinder 5 With Fuel Cut-off
P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off
P1347 Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off
P1343 Misfire Cylinder 1 With Fuel Cut-off
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P1620 MAP Cooling Control Circuit Signal High
P1085 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1083 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

After seeing that I thought either the fuel pump or filter. So cheap and easy first. I went back bought a fuel filter and changed it myself. She drove it all week and I just went down and checked and the same exact codes a week later. Runs ok but you can feel its not correct. She said it runs really bad when the tank gets low which indicates to me that the fuel system is relying on atmospheric pressure and the weight of the fuel in the tank Vs. the pump.

Any experts before I drop it of at a different dealer to have the fuel pump replaced? P1620 is what has me questioning. Could their be another problem or even a vacuum leak?
Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·

I recently took my girlfriends 525i in for a service at the time the service indicator came on the check engine light came on also. The dealer serviced it and told me that they could not accesses the fault codes for the check engine light but I would have to pay an additional $200+ for that a service. Pissed-off because I just paid $450.00 for the complete engine service and they could not even tell me what needs to be fixed, I went across the street and bought the scan tool. Here is what I got.

P0313 Misfire Detected Low Fuel Level
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1349 Misfire Cylinder 4 With Fuel Cut-off
P1351 Misfire Cylinder 5 With Fuel Cut-off
P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off
P1347 Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off
P1343 Misfire Cylinder 1 With Fuel Cut-off
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P1620 MAP Cooling Control Circuit Signal High
P1085 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1083 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

After seeing that I thought either the fuel pump or filter. So cheap and easy first. I went back bought a fuel filter and changed it myself. She drove it all week and I just went down and checked and the same exact codes a week later. Runs ok but you can feel its not correct. She said it runs really bad when the tank gets low which indicates to me that the fuel system is relying on atmospheric pressure and the weight of the fuel in the tank Vs. the pump.

Any experts before I drop it of at a different dealer to have the fuel pump replaced? P1620 is what has me questioning. Could their be another problem or even a vacuum leak?
Thanks!
Dude you need to have the valve train looked at immediately before doing anything else and also a leak test. Compression test as well, you definitely got fuel issues as well tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.