BMW Werkz banner

Mercedes 300 Vs. Bmw 525?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  da_bull 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, looks like a great site with good people and lots of quality info. I'm hoping to tap into some of that right now with my first post...

In the last few months have picked up a 94 E320 wagon, and a 95 E320 Cabriolet. Got rid of the family Dodge Durango.

I like the old mopars, and have a 49 Dodge street rod and a 70 Cuda that I am restoring.

I am looking for a 3rd family vehicle, one my 16 year old daughter can learn to drive, but will also be my driver sometimes.

I have been looking for a clean early 90s 300E or CE for us but NICE ones are very hard to find around here, at least for a reasonable price.

Now I am starting to look at maybe a BMW, like the 525 late 80s, early 90s.

My question is this, especially for those of you that are familiar with both, but I welcome any and all input:

1. Should I stick to MB since that is what I now have and am getting familiar with? What are all the pros/cons of the 300 Mercedes vs. the 525?
(I have been told the best years for the 300E models are 90-91, and 94-95.)

2. If I were to consider a BMW, WHICH YEARS specifically of the 525 are the best?
(I have been told the best years for these are 93 and newer.)

I welcome any and all advice.

Thanks again,
Gerry

See less See more
#2 ·
If you go with the 525i, get 93 or newer... more power, plus they worked out all the engine problems/ perfected the engine by then.

Problems... generally week bushings on thrust arms, shock mounts, nothing big - engine and tranny should last veeeeeeeeery veeeeery long if they were maintained at all.

btw. If you can get a 5 speed, it will make you much happier than a automatic.

and welcome to bmw-f.

#3 ·
Both of these cars are fairly high maintenance.

With that said, I like the BMW's firmer ride feel, but if thats not what your looking for - stick with the MB. They are completely different cars and can really only be compared in the "price" and "status" catergories. I can't say much about the best years for the 300, but for the e34, I Have a 1990 and love it, but in 91 they came out with more power. I'd really stay away from a 91, though - as that is the first year with that engine and tranny. 93 and up sounds about right, but a 94 - 95 would be rock solid in comparison to the 93. I absolutely love my 1990 - it's quite reliable too, as this engine and tranny were used for a while before the e34 and it was at the latest point in it's production.

So basically if your not looking for a firmer ride and sportier feel, stick with the MB.

#5 ·
I agree with both these comments. I have a 1990 525i and am real happy with it, but didnt do my research until after the fact, about the lower horsepower and the 89-90 have a timing BELT instead of a timing CHAIN. I guess as long as you replace it every 50K (or whatever the interval is) it ok. Maintanence is the key on most of these cars and should have no problem running 300K before having to buy a new motor :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.