Mass Airflow Sensor - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:06 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
boatguya1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Mass Airflow Sensor

My son just bought a 530I 1994 about a month ago. Started having problems yesterday. Started a little harder than usuall after work no power after starting, let it run a few minutes then was able to drive home. Today started ran a little rough and only about 15-20mph top speed. I've heard there are some problems with the MAF sensor, tried tappimg on it at idle and got no change. I unplugged it and the idle surged a little then smoothed out. I then drove the car, it was driveable with reduced power. Is this closed loop with a limit on power?

I'm downloading a Bently manual now. Just thought I'd ask the experts, Does it sound like the Mass Air Flow sensor is the problem? How much is a good price for one?

Thanks in advance,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Fine idea to check the MAF, and a look at the fuel system may help; possibly a new filter for example.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
After reading the manual some I looked at the intake some more, found the hoseclamp where the rubber portion of the intake meets the intake manifold lose and not sealing. I thought I had the problem, repositioned the rubber and tightened the clamp, no joy still runs like dodo with the MAF hooked up.

Do I have to clear the codes to make it run with the MAF hooked up again or should it run well again if the airleak was the problem even though the check engine light is still on? If I disconnect the MAF sensor does the system still read the other sensors and only replace the MAF sensor value with a "limp home" value? Or does it disregaurd other sensors when it goes into "limp mode"? The manual is not very clear on testing the MAF, it's not cheap, hate to replace iti if not the problem.

I'm a multi brand certified marine tech and have a fair amount of fuel injection experience, I just don't know cars that well.

Again Thanks in advance for any help,

James
#4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
As far as I know, any correction should be recognized by the engine computer.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I left the adapter I need to check the fuel pressure at work so I can't look at it now. I got the code blinked out by the check engine light, 1212 O2 sensor.
No code for the MAF. 116K mile car. I'm now wondering if the fuel pressure has been a little low causing it to run a little lean would this set the O2 sensor code? I've seen a lot of US made cars lose the in tank fuel pump around 110K-130K miles. At least the BMW folks put an access panel in the trunk to get it if that's it.

Seems to me if the MAF sensor was reading far enough off to make the car undriveable it would set a code.

At this point looks like I can't do much till I check the fuel pressure.

James
#6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Try the camshaft sensor ?

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Also after fixing the hose did you reset the adaptive values as the car has tryed to smooth out the engine with a massive air leak. you can do this by disconnecting the battery and connecting the + and - Leads(Of the car not the battery) together for 5+ minutes....

If that doesnt work try unplugging the O2 sensors(yes this will set a code) and try it....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Try the camshaft sensor ?
What should I do to try this?

James
#9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
Also after fixing the hose did you reset the adaptive values as the car has tryed to smooth out the engine with a massive air leak. you can do this by disconnecting the battery and connecting the + and - Leads(Of the car not the battery) together for 5+ minutes....

If that doesnt work try unplugging the O2 sensors(yes this will set a code) and try it....
Didn't think of the "adaptive values" this I will try along with the o2 sensor unplug if the reset doesn't do it.

Thanks,
James
#10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguya1 View Post
What should I do to try this?

James
The Camshaft sensor controls the fuel to the injectors, so if your lacking fuel to the injectors it will only run with what its provided with.......as for erasing error codes and reseting adaptations, that will not make any difference.

It may also be a lack of fuel supplied from the tank, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed, I change mine every 10,000 miles, it normally happens at inspection II.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The Camshaft sensor controls the fuel to the injectors, so if your lacking fuel to the injectors it will only run with what its provided with.......as for erasing error codes and reseting adaptations, that will not make any difference.

It may also be a lack of fuel supplied from the tank, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed, I change mine every 10,000 miles, it normally happens at inspection II.
No idea on when the filter was changed, my son just bought the car. Where is the filter located? I might have to drive up to the lake for the adapter for my fuel pressure tester. I was expecting a test port. Changing the filter to establish a known good and a timeline for maint sounds like a winner.

Thanks

James
#12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:27 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Found filter location.

James
#13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
as for erasing error codes and reseting adaptations, that will not make any difference.
.... It will return the car to the Factory settings and no longer will have the information stored to adapt for the old vaccum leak.... Did this to my 740iL Via a GT1 scanner and that car is alot smoother and idles better(and lowered the idle almost 160rpms) so don't say is won't do anything Resetting the adaptive values allows you to have a black slate to work with then after a couple mile you can read them and see how the car is trying to adapt to the problem(also clearing the codes allows you to see the hard codes when they come back without any past codes....) after clearing everything Drive the car and post what codes are being tripped.

So try it and see if it Positivly or negatively effects how the car runs If it runs worst then it is trying to adapt for a severe issue(plugged fuel filter plugged air filter vacuum leak ect.)

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
.... It will return the car to the Factory settings and no longer will have the information stored to adapt for the old vaccum leak.... Did this to my 740iL Via a GT1 scanner and that car is alot smoother and idles better(and lowered the idle almost 160rpms) so don't say is won't do anything Resetting the adaptive values allows you to have a black slate to work with then after a couple mile you can read them and see how the car is trying to adapt to the problem(also clearing the codes allows you to see the hard codes when they come back without any past codes....) after clearing everything Drive the car and post what codes are being tripped.

So try it and see if it Positivly or negatively effects how the car runs If it runs worst then it is trying to adapt for a severe issue(plugged fuel filter plugged air filter vacuum leak ect.)
It still ran poorly (pretty much the same) after the reset.

I've got a couple fuel filters coming to the local parts place, should be there in a couple hours. I pulled one of the filters off and after draining the fuel in it I could not blow through it except for a very little bit. Compared to other filters on EFI systems I've blown through I'd say it is clogged.

My son reluctantly admitted to running out of gas about a week ago, don't know if that's a contributtor in this problem or not.

Thanks for the help, I'll post how it goes.

James
#15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Fuel filters didn't do it. Tried unhooking the o2 sensor and no luck. Runs best with MAF sensor unhooked.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)