Main Beam problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 05:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geordiedownsouth is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Main Beam problem

Hi everyone,
My first post so not sure if this is the correct place.
My 528i has developed a roblem with the offside headlamp.Bulbs are ok but the mainbeam doesnt work. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Ron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
have you checked your fuses?
#3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
have you checked your fuses?
Hi saltshaker,
Is there a fuse for each headlight?

Cheers Ron.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 PM
cnn
Neutral Member

cnn is on a distinguished road
Lcm

You may have a problem with the LCM.

See this thread:
Group buy for LCM Repair Part Infineon BTS426L1??? - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Usually when the Infineon BTS426L1 chips fail, they fail closed which means HIGH BEAM ON all the time, even with key off.

You chips might have failed OPEN, which means regardless of what you do, the HIGH BEAM is OFF.

I still have the Infineon chips, about 6 pairs remaining. If you are ineterested. PM me as "cn90" at bimmerfest.com.

I don't come here very often at all.

cnn
#5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:30 AM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
Hey CNN, perhaps you can explain what happened to my LCM on my last e34.

When I first got the car, the wiring harnesses for the fog lights were cut/broken. So I wandered down to advanced auto and picked up a set of new ones and hooked them up. I plugged in my new fog lights and replaced the housings.

Now the wierd stuff started happening. The first time I started the car, it immediatley said my fog lights were out. However... They were on. I flicked on my driving lights and they worked as well. Along with high beams.

However when I flicked my high beams on, my fog lights remained on. I know doing such for on road use is illegal, however. I'd like to know if there is an easy way to "recreate" this problem.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 PM
cnn
Neutral Member

cnn is on a distinguished road
Chip

Hi,

I don't know about E34 but being built at the same time as the E39, the technology is prob very similar.
It might have been the Infineon chips I talked a bout.

I have 6 pairs left.

I do not come here often, I am more at bimmerfest (username "cn90")

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ity
Hey CNN, perhaps you can explain what happened to my LCM on my last e34.

When I first got the car, the wiring harnesses for the fog lights were cut/broken. So I wandered down to advanced auto and picked up a set of new ones and hooked them up. I plugged in my new fog lights and replaced the housings.

Now the wierd stuff started happening. The first time I started the car, it immediatley said my fog lights were out. However... They were on. I flicked on my driving lights and they worked as well. Along with high beams.

However when I flicked my high beams on, my fog lights remained on. I know doing such for on road use is illegal, however. I'd like to know if there is an easy way to "recreate" this problem.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Welcome Ron...I don't have any answeres to your issue, but I wanted to welcome you to Bimmerwerkz!

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat
Welcome Ron...I don't have any answeres to your issue, but I wanted to welcome you to Bimmerwerkz!
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)