Lowering A 525i. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
brians15 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1993 525i w/ stock suspension and would like to lower the car. I have looked at the spring kits. How hard are they to install? WHat springs work best for street use? dont want a harsh ride. The front ride height is really the only part i want to lower but would i still have to change all 4 springs? Thanks.
brians15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
you have to replace all of the springs.

It is very easy to install as long as you have jackstands, floor jacks and spring compressors
Old 03-15-2005, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gear Member

Car: 2012 328i
Photos:
BeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
NO! DON'T DO IT!! Okay, I know that my comment there will hold no water. So, here's another way to look at it. Lowering your car will not raise your value, which is important whether you want to sell it or not. Put the money towards something more noticeable (dings, scratches, etc) or save it in case something happens to it. If you can, post a pic. Of all the attractive things to do to your car, lowering it should be the last on your list. AND, it will look horrible if the whole thing doesn't tie together (i.e. lowered but you could use new wheels/tires/tink...)

Okay, and since this hasn't been cleared up for me ever, how much does getting that done cost? Why (exactly) does a lower car look better? Doesn't it bug you that ricer's do that kind of stuff? Aren't you happy with your car the way it is?

I know those will rub people the wrong way, but i don't understand and it bugs me that people think SOMETHING needs to be altered.
BeachBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 03:07 AM
NO! DON'T DO IT!! Okay, I know that my comment there will hold no water. So, here's another way to look at it. Lowering your car will not raise your value, which is important whether you want to sell it or not. Put the money towards something more noticeable (dings, scratches, etc) or save it in case something happens to it.* If you can, post a pic. Of all the attractive things to do to your car, lowering it should be the last on your list. AND, it will look horrible if the whole thing doesn't tie together (i.e. lowered but you could use new wheels/tires/tink...)

Okay, and since this hasn't been cleared up for me ever, how much does getting that done cost? Why (exactly) does a lower car look better? Doesn't it bug you that ricer's do that kind of stuff? Aren't you happy with your car the way it is?

I know those will rub people the wrong way, but i don't understand and it bugs me that people think SOMETHING needs to be altered.
[snapback]311761[/snapback]
you were right - it rubbed me the wrong way... basically because of the whole "doesn't it bug you that ricer's do it?" that's pure ignorance. I'm sorry but it is. Lowering a vehicle isn't just for looks and BMWs benefit from it when it's done properly!! A BMW is NOT perfect!!

btw it makes the car look better because the wheel well gap is usually thought of as "unsightly"

Also - if lowering were bad, stupid, dumb, whatever you may think - BMW would NOT offer a sport package which lowers the car 3/4" !!! Usually to lower a car properly with springs, shocks and installation, you shoul dlook to spend around $1000 - $1200 for good stuff.

As for the original poster - I have H&R springs + Bilstein shocks and love it, but it may be a little too rough for you - I recommend Koni's and Eibach springs. That would be a little softer and more adjustable for you - without lacking much at all in the performance department in comparison to the H&Rs.

Where are you located? If you're close by I could take you for a ride in my 525 with H&Rs..
Old 03-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
brians15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by sp0rky+Mar 16 2005, 04:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sp0rky @ Mar 16 2005, 04:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeachBunny@Mar 15 2005, 03:07 AM
NO! DON'T DO IT!! Okay, I know that my comment there will hold no water. So, here's another way to look at it. Lowering your car will not raise your value, which is important whether you want to sell it or not. Put the money towards something more noticeable (dings, scratches, etc) or save it in case something happens to it. If you can, post a pic. Of all the attractive things to do to your car, lowering it should be the last on your list. AND, it will look horrible if the whole thing doesn't tie together (i.e. lowered but you could use new wheels/tires/tink...)

[snapback]311761[/snapback]
you were right - it rubbed me the wrong way... basically because of the whole "doesn't it bug you that ricer's do it?" that's pure ignorance. I'm sorry but it is. Lowering a vehicle isn't just for looks and BMWs benefit from it when it's done properly!! A BMW is NOT perfect!!

btw it makes the car look better because the wheel well gap is usually thought of as "unsightly"

Also - if lowering were bad, stupid, dumb, whatever you may think - BMW would NOT offer a sport package which lowers the car 3/4" !!! Usually to lower a car properly with springs, shocks and installation, you shoul dlook to spend around $1000 - $1200 for good stuff.

As for the original poster - I have H&R springs + Bilstein shocks and love it, but it may be a little too rough for you - I recommend Koni's and Eibach springs. That would be a little softer and more adjustable for you - without lacking much at all in the performance department in comparison to the H&Rs.

Where are you located? If you're close by I could take you for a ride in my 525 with H&Rs..

I am located in Atlanta, do i have to get new shocks also?

[snapback]312926[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
brians15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
You really SHOULD get new shocks. Koni adjustables and bilstein sports are the most popular. I feel that you may be happier with the Koni adjustables, as you can tune them for a little bit softer ride, but they are very expensive. 4 Koni adjustables, 4 Eibach springs and installation may be very close to $1100.

The problem with just using your stock shocks is that I garauntee they are blown by now, or if you just replace them with standard shocks, not ones made for "sport" applications, the springs will be too stiff for the shock, and the shock will not keep the ride "tight and controlled" - over large bumps, it would just bounce and sway, very similar to an old car with blown shocks.

A lot of people do it the cheap way and just swap springs - roughly 280 for springs and 300 for installation, but might as well do the job right and get the shocks too. a shop shouldnt charge any extra labor anyway.

good luck
Old 03-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
shox.com has kits for e34s... koni adjustables with eibach should run you around 800 bux if i remember right. check the prices.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque@Mar 21 2005, 09:55 PM
shox.com has kits for e34s... koni adjustables with eibach should run you around 800 bux if i remember right. check the prices.
[snapback]316100[/snapback]
+300 to install and we're right around that 1100 i quoted earlier.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)