to lower or not to lower the E39.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
t0nyd4tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ive been debating if i should lower my 2001 E39 or not. if i go and buy some eibachs, will the suspension still be as good as the stock bmw suspension? im guessing no, but i want to hear from people who have done it or know for a fact of what the outcome may be. thanx.
-tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

silverlea is an unknown quantity at this point
E39 are quite low already. Fit yourself a set of front and rear M5 swaybars and go out and enjoy yourself.The handling difference is unreal.

Chers,
Silverlea.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
theres always room for improvement on everything

#4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mr White G is an unknown quantity at this point
It depends what your goal is.

If you want it to handle more sharply then slight lowering it might work but you'll sacrifice the comfort.

If you do lower it I wouldn't go more than 20mm

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;So my BM makes me a flash bastard? Then I guess you're just keeping it real from the seat of your nova?&quot;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>&quot;...and the home of the brave..... is bravey 130bhp from a 7 litre engine? 100bhp/litre or don't bother building it!&quot;</span>

<span style='color:red'>&quot;Aaahh the UK; where every road is jammed, under construction, poorly maintained and unfairly policed, at least we don't get over-taxed for it........ HA HA HA!&quot;</span>
#5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Stuka is an unknown quantity at this point
they are pretty low, but everyone knows which e39's are stock and which have been dropped. The e39's lines complement a nice, low stance, so lowering springs is definitely a good idea. But as stated above, dont go nuts, a 20mm and under drop will suffice. Eibach is a fabulous choice, but also pricey in the same respect. Bavauto springs are what i've looked at, but its always a gamble. Post pics if you get it done!

1990 535i 5 Speed +[E.A.T. chip/Powerflow intake/Tri-flo exhaust system/Strut Tower Bar/Smoked Signals/Pioneer Head Unit/Crossfire vr401 amp/12&quot; Crossfire BMF sub/eyebrows/18&quot; alpina replica rims]+

6 cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 Doors, 3 Pedals, 2 Exhaust Pipes, 1 Ultimate Drving Machine
#6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i just want an overall COMFORTABLE ride. i dont drive aggressively so i dont think i'l need anything with better handeling. so Eibachs are a good buy? i heard i should also buy shocks with them also.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 08:57 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Eibachs are going to be stiff. If you have ever been in an M3, M5, or porsche, you can feel every bump in the road if feels like. So basically, if your not looking for better handeling for your aggressive driving habit it isn't worth it. Unless you like the lowrider look.

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
#8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
as logn as you dont get Tein coilovers, it cant be that bad. I sit in my friends e46 a lot. It is really fine. But Tein SS coilovers on a rx7. well now that u feel every bump. Hit a pothole and ur ass hurts all night >.<.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you don't want to alter the handling characteristics of your 5 then leave it as it is.

One alternative would be to take 10-15mm off the spring but it isn't too clever and can cause bottoming out (where the suspension travel isn't sufficient to handle the big bumps)

You don't need to replace the entire suspension, just the springs.

http://www.evosport.com/product/suspension/

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;So my BM makes me a flash bastard? Then I guess you're just keeping it real from the seat of your nova?&quot;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>&quot;...and the home of the brave..... is bravey 130bhp from a 7 litre engine? 100bhp/litre or don't bother building it!&quot;</span>

<span style='color:red'>&quot;Aaahh the UK; where every road is jammed, under construction, poorly maintained and unfairly policed, at least we don't get over-taxed for it........ HA HA HA!&quot;</span>
#10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
alright, after reading all the posts, ive come to a very compact question....

i just want springs that are comfy. good suspension is what im looking for. i dont care much for handeling bc i dont drive hard. hopefully that clears things up. now, with me just wanting the 'lowrider' look, what should i get? i jux looked @ the H & R springs that the man posted above and they dont look too bad.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Funnily enough I was reading an article in a magazine about this last night:

After a lot of testing with different heights of spring, they found the ideal ride height to be only a 5mm drop from stock!

Blistein, Eibach, Koni are all good.......

.....pneumatic air suspension is another EXPENSIVE option!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)