Loud Noise From Acceleration And Nav Misbehaviour - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 03:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iconnx is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi guys...
Besides the climate confusion I am having, I have another 2 issues.
The first is relating to when I accelerate from standstill, sometimes, I get a loud fan type noise (a WHOOSH if you must) and sometimes I dont...Anyone have any ideas? Also, the Nav unit seems to go off map when I am using it to route a destination and go to radio, or the computer all on its own.Chooses when it gives me the arrow guidance or screen guidance all on its own... I would appreciate any help... TIA

Cheers
Ram

PS> Update

I beleive the noise I am hearing is the clutched fan engaging intermittently... Isnt it supposed to only engage at higher rpm's or is it normal for it to do this? I just heard it now for a couple of seconds upon starting the car and I am wondering if it has a faulty clutch on it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:16 AM
n00b

cassidym is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by iconnx@Dec 13 2004, 03:52 AM
Hi guys...
The first is relating to when I accelerate from standstill, sometimes, I get a loud fan type noise (a WHOOSH if you must) and sometimes I dont...Anyone have any ideas? Also, the Nav unit seems to go off map when I am using it to route a destination and go to radio, or the computer all on its own.Chooses when it gives me the arrow guidance or screen guidance all on its own... I would appreciate any help... TIA

Cheers
Ram

PS> Update

I beleive the noise I am hearing is the clutched fan engaging intermittently... Isnt it supposed to only engage at higher rpm's or is it normal for it to do this? I just heard it now for a couple of seconds upon starting the car and I am wondering if it has a faulty clutch on it....
[snapback]248974[/snapback]
iconnx, what model and year 5er have you got?

I was confused at first with the Nav system and arrow direction. Then, contrary to my usual behavior, I actually read the instructions and learned how to activate the arrow guidance. Once you've entered the address and clicked on Start Guidance, pull back on the controller. Highlight 'Map Direction of Travel' or 'Map Facing North' and press the controller. This brings up the map in the main screen. Then, push the controller right. This highlights the auxillary screen also known as the Assisatnce Window. Press the controller down and, from the menu that appears, select "Map, Arrow display"

Other choices in the Assistance Widow are "Map Direction of Travel", "Map Facing North", "Current Position" and Blank Screen. Thus, you can have this screen dispaly either the map or arrow guidance when you are using the Nav but want to use the main screen to switch over to Radio or some other feature.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 AM
n00b

iconnx is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by cassidym+Dec 13 2004, 11:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cassidym @ Dec 13 2004, 11:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-iconnx@Dec 13 2004, 03:52 AM
Hi guys...

Cheers
Ram

PS> Update

[snapback]248974[/snapback]
iconnx, what model and year 5er have you got?

I was confused at first with the Nav system and arrow direction. Then, contrary to my usual behavior, I actually read the instructions and learned how to activate the arrow guidance. Once you've entered the address and clicked on Start Guidance, pull back on the controller. Highlight 'Map Direction of Travel' or 'Map Facing North' and press the controller. This brings up the map in the main screen. Then, push the controller right. This highlights the auxillary screen also known as the Assisatnce Window. Press the controller down and, from the menu that appears, select "Map, Arrow display"

Other choices in the Assistance Widow are "Map Direction of Travel", "Map Facing North", "Current Position" and Blank Screen. Thus, you can have this screen dispaly either the map or arrow guidance when you are using the Nav but want to use the main screen to switch over to Radio or some other feature.
[snapback]248991[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks a lot mate. That makes sense... My car is a 2000 540iA Sport BTW. I didnt realise that you could pull on the knob...I was under the impression that it was push only.... Goes to show that sometimes you just gotta fiddle wth your knob! :lol:

Any ideas on the rest of the issues I seem to be having anyone?

Cheers
#4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
n00b

cassidym is an unknown quantity at this point
You can't pull up on the controller but you can push it towards the rear of the car. Doing that after you enter the address in the NAV screen will highlight the Map Choice window. Push it towards the passenger seat and you highlight the Assist Window. This assumes your BMW is left hand drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)