Lots Of New Stuff For My 540!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
The last of the new stuff for my 1999 540/6 showed up tonight, in time for me to get going this weekend (now that I finally finished the freakin' taxes). The List:

From getcoolparts.com:
- New Bosch MAF ($130, now priced over $200, and $450 dealer price) - installed it tonight
- New genuine Brembo OEM-type rotors, Front & Rear, $197 for all, shipped to my door

From Dave Zeckhausen:
- CDV delete
- Stoptech s/sbraided brake hoses F&R
- Axxis Deluxe+ pads F&R
- New pair front wheel bearings & bolts
- $583 total, incl shipping

Already purchased from dealer:
- Power steering hoses & washers & o-rings
- M5 rear sway bar (already installed it)
- New fuel filter

On top of all that, I am getting all of my windows tinted tomorrow (except windshield), to the pathetic Virginia state limit of 50% front side windows, and 35% everything else. B)

So I am excited but I have a LOT of work ahead of me this weekend! It's mostly maintenance; only a few "mods", but I am excited about them, especially the reduced brake dust! Eventually I will upgrade to the M5 front sway bar as I replace front suspension parts later this year.

BTW, talk about unsprung weight! Those rotors are HEAVY! The UPS label said it was 71 lbs for the 4 rotors. And the OEM FAG wheel bearings aint exactly feathers either!

So there ya go, will update as I progress thru the parts change-outs. I've held off since October and now it is Time...
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats Eric, sounds like the car is gonna be getting all dialed in. Good luck if you end up getting that m5 front say bar...those are a ton of fun to install.
Have fun this weekend,
DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Apr 14 2005, 11:25 PM
Congrats Eric, sounds like the car is gonna be getting all dialed in. Good luck if you end up getting that m5 front say bar...those are a ton of fun to install.
Have fun this weekend,
DT
[snapback]332634[/snapback]
Thanks! That's why I'm saving the M5 front bar until "LATER"...
Old 04-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Nice Package Eric...have fun wishing you the best.....looks like I will be dealing with a busted differential on mine...broken hanger/carrier on the top of differential itself....will be posting some pics of it I hope

billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Apr 14 2005, 11:49 PM
Nice Package Eric...have fun wishing you the best.....looks like I will be dealing with a busted differential on mine...broken hanger/carrier on the top of differential itself....will be posting some pics of it I hope

billb
[snapback]332646[/snapback]
Bill - I took a peek at your post and - ugh! - you have my sympathy. If ever the frustrated ugh wrench guy applied, it would be for your case!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I spent a lot of time on the car this weekend, and here is what I accomplished:

1) CDV-ectomy.

2) Installed new front wheel bearings (L&R).

3) Installed new front rotors, pads, and s/s hoses.

4) Installed new rear pads, rotors, and s/s hoses.

The bearings were really not too difficult (following Dave Z's instructions). The other thing that helped was that I built a couple of small ramps to drive the front of the car onto so that I could get the floor jack under the engine support, then enabling jack stands at the two front side jacking points.

The structure of the car is so stiff that I literally raised both rear wheels by jacking under just one side with the floor jack.

Anyway, the whole thing would've been easier if I hadn't replaced my stock brake hoses. The front ones gave me fits, whereas the rears weren't too bad.

For next weekend, I plan to replace my leaking power steering hoses, my transmission fluid, and my fuel filter. After all of THAT, I should be set for awhile, right?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.@Apr 17 2005, 08:22 PM

1) CDV-ectomy.

The bearings were really not too difficult (following Dave Z's instructions). The other thing that helped was that I built a couple of small ramps to drive the front of the car onto so that I could get the floor jack under the engine support, then enabling jack stands at the two front side jacking points.

The structure of the car is so stiff that I literally raised both rear wheels by jacking under just one side with the floor jack.

Anyway, the whole thing would've been easier if I hadn't replaced my stock brake hoses. The front ones gave me fits, whereas the rears weren't too bad.

For next weekend, I plan to replace my leaking power steering hoses, my transmission fluid, and my fuel filter. After all of THAT, I should be set for awhile, right?
[snapback]334039[/snapback]

Sounds alot of work...Eric one question...what is your plan for the ATF..I am assuming life-time stuff...how u going to get it? brand? any feedback?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.+Apr 15 2005, 07:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric S. @ Apr 15 2005, 07:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Apr 14 2005, 11:49 PM

billb
Bill - I took a peek at your post and - ugh! - you have my sympathy. If ever the frustrated ugh wrench guy applied, it would be for your case!
[snapback]333123[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

yep this Tuesday I will be getting the whole subframe to install with new bolts/bushing....I don't trust the whole idea of tig welding...I think it will weaken the carrier ans still a temp.fix....no good...Still did not hear from DT!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Apr 17 2005, 09:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Apr 17 2005, 09:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Eric S.@Apr 17 2005, 08:22 PM

1) CDV-ectomy.

The bearings were really not too difficult (following Dave Z's instructions).* The other thing that helped was that I built a couple of small ramps to drive the front of the car onto so that I could get the floor jack under the engine support, then enabling jack stands at the two front side jacking points.

Anyway, the whole thing would've been easier if I hadn't replaced my stock brake hoses.* The front ones gave me fits, whereas the rears weren't too bad.

For next weekend, I plan to replace my leaking power steering hoses, my transmission fluid, and my fuel filter.* After all of THAT, I should be set for awhile, right?*
[snapback]334039[/snapback]

Sounds alot of work...Eric one question...what is your plan for the ATF..I am assuming life-time stuff...how u going to get it? brand? any feedback?
[snapback]334050[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Bill -

According to Dave Zeckhausen, Royal Purple Syncromax or Redline D4ATF are both fine for the 6-speed gearbox, but Dave thinks the Royal Purple is preferable, so I ordered few quarts of that from a local retailed (Dave is out of stock right now).
Old 04-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Apr 17 2005, 09:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Apr 17 2005, 09:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.@Apr 15 2005, 07:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-billB
Quote:
@Apr 14 2005, 11:49 PM

billb

[snapback]333123[/snapback]

yep this Tuesday I will be getting the whole subframe to install with new bolts/bushing....I don't trust the whole idea of tig welding...I think it will weaken the carrier ans still a temp.fix....no good...Still did not hear from DT!!!!!!
[snapback]334052[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Your talking major structural modification. so I doubt anyone short of a BMW engineer with a 3-D finite element model would be able to say whether you're OK with any weld mods.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Very nice additions. Hah and yeah those are some pretty pathetic tinting laws!

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Jrf786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tinting laws in Cali are nothign other than factory tint on the front, none on the windsheild but I think the rest is unlimited. I was thinking about getting mine tinted but I dont like that nothing on the front, black on the back look. I dont like getting pulled over by the cops, especially for dumb shit like that. Stupid fix it tickets..
Jrf786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
California is 20% all around. It's been awhile it may actually be %5 in back and only 20% on the front two (but as always none on the front window with the exception of the tint line at the top).

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Jrf786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ///M Power@Apr 20 2005, 01:38 PM
California is 20% all around. It's been awhile it may actually be %5 in back and only 20% on the front two (but as always none on the front window with the exception of the tint line at the top).
[snapback]335560[/snapback]
My friend just got his Camry tinted last week and they told him he couldnt get it AT ALL on the two front windows. They said the two back windows he could go pitch black but the two fronts needed to be clear. :S
Jrf786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
oops!
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)