BMW Werkz banner

Looking to purchase e39 540i....Questions...

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric S. 
#1 ·
I have been off these forums for a while now. I used to have an E36 and frequented the boards under the user name "Scarface" a couple years ago. Well, i had to sell the e36 for something a little newer and I got lured into an american V8(Mustang GT to be exact) Now before you go flaming me, let me say this: The parts are cheap, and the gains are very noticeable for the money. Great bang for the buck! But I have realized that it is time to get back where I belong, behind the wheel of a bimmer! Especially since I just bought a new house and it's about time to get a family going!

I really want a 2000 or newer 540i. Is there any problem areas I should look at when looking at these cars? Is the maintenance fairly reasonable on the 4.4 L v8? I know what to expect having owned a BMW before. I am just feeling out my options and wondering what to look for. Thanks for any help and damn it feels good to be back!

David

#3 ·
I've happily owned my E39 540i for 170,000 miles now and can say that the least of my worries was the engine. The only problems I've had, other than normal wear and tear, were the electronics. To be honest, they're kinda weak. If I were to go for another 540, i'd pick up the 2002/2003 model. These models have the newest version of the navigation and are solid hood to trunk. There are a lot of mustangs on the road, but how many 540i-MSports do you see?

#4 ·
If you are looking for a 2000 540 heres some things I learned with mine.
First I purchased a 2000 540ia fresh off a lease return with 50k on the clock.
I am a big mustang fan by the way you should'nt have gotten rid of the stead. I currently have a 2000 R model (#91/300) and a 85 GT anyways back to the Beemer.

58k-Replace serpintine belt
59k-Brakes front and rear/pads brembo cross drilled rotors,factory M5 wheels, bridgestone tires.
59.9k-Heres the surprise I had, I know the above items are all wear and tear issues so no big deal, but the transmition going out on a car that stickered for almost 60k at these miles????anyways the remaining FACTORY warranty saved me big$. The dealer replaced with a brand new trans at no charge.
65k- Radiator started leaking. I replaced with a factory one and at the same time decided to do the water pump, thermostat and fan clutch.
70k- performance big hit me, added Dinan cold air intake, MAF, M5 exhaust (drivers side only) removed resonator,Dinan stut tower brace, Stage 4 trans and engine software. These mods woke up this beast!
80k- navigation unit went out (this car has the MK11).
currently the car has 87k doesnt burn a drop of oil and feels better than most new cars out there, expecially for a 5 year old car. Hope this helps out.

#5 ·
How come no '99?!?

I have a 1999 540/6 and am curious as to why you would consider a 2000 540 but not a 1999. The 1999 is basically the same, with all of the Bosch engine management upgrades. About the only difference is that the 2000 has a cooler, rechargeable key fob (like buying a $3 battery every two years is a burden). I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. I was just wodnering if there was something besides age (a '99 is 6 going on 7 years old) that would keep you from buying one.

All that said, there are a number of trouble areas, but most are commensurate with mileage. For instance, I laughed at the posting above and how little that person had to do, compared with what I tackled between 103K and 111K. But if you're like me and need to haul around 2+ children, especially in their car seats, the 540 can't be beat, and can do it much better than a Mustang (or Civic coupe in my case).

Check out www.540i6.com - there is a problems and fixes page that should prove helpful and is what I consulted prior to buying my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.