Looking to get an E60 soon - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
raddox is on a distinguished road
Looking to get an E60 soon

This is my first post here! I hope to post a lot in the upcoming months as I get closer to the purchase of this new "to me" vehicle.

So I wanted to reach out to the more experienced BMW owners to get an idea of what to expect maintenance wise and other. I am honestly looking at the 545 or 550. I have never had a V8 and looking forward to power of this vehicle.

I am somewhat comfortable with certain DIY as I have had an A6 2.7T for the past 6 years. I have done spark plugs, ing coils, oil change, filter changes, nothing too technical though. But I do understand that there is some maintenance involved. I have also heard that BMW's tend to be more reliable than audi, and the cost of ownership me be a bit more reasonable...but not sure.

So...any advice you could give, what to look out for and all would be greatly appreciated.

I really want a manual, however there don't seem to be very many available...that I have seen anyway.

Thanks Guys!
raddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz!

Let's start off with the DIY aspect. Unfortunately the E60 is not DIY friendly. Due to the introduction of iDrive, and the various electronic components their difficult to service. A large number of people have had problems with their iDrive systems. Because it controls almost all of the vehicles systems when it fails it is a major and costly expense. Anytime a new model is introduced with new technology theirs always some glitches. If you still want an E60 then avoid the first 2-3 model years.

My favorite 5 Series is the E39. They do have a few known issues but they are way more DIY friendly. Their is a Bentley Service Manual for the E39. Their isn't one for the E60 as far as I know.

If you have any questions let us know!

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Lord Vader,

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking about the 2008, and I agree with your suggestion on staying away from the first few years of new model.

I took sometime today to go and speak with a independent bmw mech and he gave me the run down as well. I do really like the E39 as well, and it would be by far more affordable. I will have to give it some thought for sure.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
The E39 is more affordable as the car itself, as well as maintenance. If you have your own set of tools, floor jack, jack stands, and oil drain pan yor pretty much set. I started out with a 200 peice tool set from Stanley, a Michelin floor jack and set of jack stands and I can pretty much do anything I need to onthe car. Minus a few specialty tools like spark plug sockets and the 30mm oil filter housing socket.

I like the styling of the E39 much better then the E60. I find it more classic. Theirs also excellent aftermarket support for any modifications you may want to make. An exhaust on the E60 can fetch well over $2,500-3,000. Whereas on the E39 they retail for usually less then $2,000 depending on the maker.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Whoa, this must be a great car (E39) because I can't find that many on sale in the South East! Not nearly as many E60's...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
They really are. I'm not sure the production numbers but I know their was a good number per year.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TheSuspensionSource is on a distinguished road
I have a 05 545i. So far I have enjoyed it. I do a lot of driving so the gas can get expensive. So far I have only done an oil change, brakes and coilovers. The oil change was pretty straight forward. Be prepared to spend atleast $90 in oil and filter. The 545 and 550 use a 24mm oil canister.

I had a few problems with it when I first bought it but the dealership took care of it. Ever since has been pretty good.
TheSuspensionSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks TSS, I appreciate the input. It may be a few months before I pull the trigger but I am definitely getting one.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TheSuspensionSource is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddox View Post
Thanks TSS, I appreciate the input. It may be a few months before I pull the trigger but I am definitely getting one.
I got my dirt cheap. My buddy owns a car lot. $13,500. 2005 545i never wrecked,grey with black interior. Needed brakes and oil change when I got it but other than that pretty solid car. I doubt I will ever drive another type of car LOL
TheSuspensionSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yeah dude that's a lovely price! If I knew a broker or something maybe I could get a deal but it looks like I'll have to take the dealer route, hence the wait. Plus I promised myself I'd payoff my wife's car first. I think it will be worth the wait though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)