Locked out - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
pghbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok heres what happened to me and my 1999 582i I opened the truck of my car using my keeyless remote to put some parts in and go the local parts store. Well when i tossed the parts in I also tossed the key in the truck. I bought the car used and only got one key with it to begin with. So I called a local towing company and tey came up and tried to get into the car, no luck. I then went to my local BMW dealer and bought a valet key to get into the car start it and then open the trunk with the central locking system. Well the key didn't work in the locks...so I went back to BMW and orderd a Master Key and same deal it won't open the car or trunk. So here are my questions....
1.) If I bust the window out will the central locking system still work if the car is not started and the alarm is activated?
2.) Can I get into the trunk through the rear seat? I don't think I have the ski bag option.
3.) Is my only choice to take it to BMW and have it completly re-keyed with all new locks?
pghbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SKT174 is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought when the trunk is unlocked with the remote key, all the doors would be unlocked as well? And even when the truck is closed, you still need a keypress on the remote to lock it? What I'm trying to say is, how can you lock the doors/trunk without pressing the remote key? used
SKT174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
maci4life is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can actually ge into the car then i would say try to go through the ski hole ( but i don't think anyone can fit though it.). What you might have to do is take the rear seat rest out ( not too hard) to see if it exposes bigger holes, if not the gap that the ski bag thingamajig goes in should be there( i doubt it's cut out only for the option).

i've taken the back off, on my 1990 525 for a speaker installation and the beamer was built like a tank with a solid metal divider.for the trunk compartment. i'd assume the newer 5's would be the same. you should atleast be able to reach into the trunk and grab the key, or use somthing to grab it.

hope that helps.
maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang! the key from the dealer should work! They're probably giving you the wrong stuff. Did you supplied the correct VIN?... If no luck, don't break the window. you can't get into the trunk if you don't have fold down seats (not 100% sure)

By the way SKT174, to answer your question... Let's say your car is locked, you can press the trunk button to unlock (only the truck will unlock). Shut the door with the keys in the trunk and you're screw! I'm sure this is what happened.

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yup thats what happened I opened the trunk using the remote without opening the door locks and then locked them in with all he doors locked. I supplied the correct vin to BMW twice the last eight are even on the bag with no luck. The vent window is the cheapest window at 62.00 if I decide to break it out and take out the back seat. Your right BMW's are built like tanks and the alarm systems are very complicated in the 5 series. When I talked to the manager of the BMW dealer, P&W foreign cars in Pittsburgh great people he told me he called BMW to see if the lock set was ever changed as you must supply a vin #, owners card, and photo ID to purchase a key/Lock set (they only sell them as sets you can't just get a lcok set). Each Key/Lock set ghas a seriel # from BMW and is closely tracked. He told me they showed no changes for my car they even told him who owned it and where it came from. His next thought was maybe the car was slavaged or chopped and they just used the VIN's off another car. I don't want to belive that but I'm going to look into it. My only solution here might be to take it to BMW and have them re key the entire car which I'm sure is going to cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SKT174 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh.. I must have a different remote key then? used

My key only have 2 buttons, one circle and one rectangular.

One press on the circle one will lock everything, press longer will make all the window goes up.

One press on the rectangular will unlock the driver door only, one more press will unlock everything, press longer will make all windows goes down.

I guess I don't have that trunk button as mentioned, so for me to open the trunk I need to press the rectangular button twice :P that's where I got confused.

Cheers
SKT174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SKT174@Aug 25 2004, 12:43 AM
I thought when the trunk is unlocked with the remote key, all the doors would be unlocked as well? And even when the truck is closed, you still need a keypress on the remote to lock it? What I'm trying to say is, how can you lock the doors/trunk without pressing the remote key? used
On the e39 you have a button to unlock everything and one to just unlock the boot (as you can disable the boot from opening with this first button for security) if using the secong button the boot locks when pushed shut - hence he only opened the boot threw his keys in then shut the boot, hey presto everything is locked and his keys are in the boot.

It's a pity he bought a beamer cos the security is so bloody good on them.
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
LAST CHOICE!

How about a locksmith?? Give it a try before the dealer. They'll come over to your place....
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I called a local locksmith they said that its a high security lock and the only way into it is with a drill.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Maybe it'll be cheaper if he drills it out then replace the lock with a new one from the dealer... I figure the dealer will have to do the same thing anyway....
Old 08-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
... drill out the one from the trunk!!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well theres good news and bad news to this story good news is a local lock smith opened the car up like it was his front door to his house took all of anout 2 mins. Bad news is I decided to take a better look at my car and found that all the paper theft vin numbers where missing and then when I looked in the engine compartment on the passanger side strut tower at the VIN it did not match the VIN on the dash. So I ran the VIN that I found in the engine bay, I'm a PO and it turns out my car was stolen in 1999 from Atlanta, GA and retaged with the VINs that are on the dash and drivers door. So I called the detectives and they came and took my car as evidnce for a criminal investigation. Bitch of it is when the car wasn't even the correct year it was a 1998. The car will be returned to the insurance co. that made the payoff to the dealer it was stolen from and I have to get an attorney and go after the car lot that sold it to me. Crazy thing is I ran a CARFAX on the vin# and it came back clean usually when they chop a car they use a VIN from a car that was totaled. Moral is check your VIN's everywhere on your car because stolen BMW's are a hot item.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Sad story man, Particularly as you ran a check on the vin- what's the odds of you getting your cash back? I know over here it's nearly damn impossible.
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well you are protected when you buy the car in good faith from a dealer, he must eaither reimberse you for the purchase price, give you a similar vehicle or give you a vehicle that has about the same value. Its called the Fair Trade Act of 1974 and its a federal law that protects consumers. Not to mention the State Police can charge him with recieving stolen property weather he knew or not. I still have to look into it more today. But the dealer called me last night and is going to give me a loaner car and is willing to work it out.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
Ya i I got like 10 places on my car I can find my vin.

all the doors, the trunk, the windshield, the front 2 quarter pannels just under the hood. and plenty of other places too I'm sure.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)