BMW Werkz banner

Light stays on

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Toxic 
#1 ·
One of the front headlamps remained on today when I got out of the car. I had the lights on when I was driving but switched them off about 5 miles from home but the front right stayed on and remains on with ignition off and all switches in the off position. Other side is ok. There is 12V at the bulb even with fuses 16 & 41 out. Not sure if these are the right fuses but it’s what the card says (Light Module). I would have thought both front lamps were powered off the same source. Any ideas?

1997 E39
:pissed2

#2 ·
Some cars have parking lights. Is the rear tail light on as well on the same side? I know that on my old cavalier when you turned the ignition off and turned the indicator stalk 'on', the dip beam would come on on whichever side I had indicated. Maybe the car has this type of set up and you have turned something on without knowing it. My old Merc had the same option.

I went for almost a year before I did this mistakenly once, until then, I didn't even know it had the facility.

If its not this and the switch is off, you would have to look at the switch, but then if you have taken the fuses out and the bulbs still work, it must be shorting or using a different circuit intentionally. can't think why only one would come on though, unless the bulb in the other one has blown. Try the parking lights thing first tho (it may be different stalk/switch that triggers these in a BMW).

#3 ·
not the parking light. its the full beam (60W) bulb. The rear lights are not on and the other bulb works as I swapped them about. I'm told the light control module is probably whacked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.