Leaky Power Steering hoses - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jamison is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jamison
(Thread Starter)
Leaky Power Steering hoses

dealership advised while doing some other work that my power steering hoses needed to be replaced (leaking badly). He said the top two hoses needed replacement. Im trying to figure out what exactly the top two hoses are? The fluid supply line runs from the reservior to the pump. that looks as if its one of the culprits ( as its on the top of the system) not sure about the other one. i guess i need to get under the car. is this job hard? bentley manual doesnt really go into detail here...

The cheif export of Chuck Norris is pain.

'98 528i
black
auto tranny
112k miles

mods coming...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Post One of the easier fixes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison
dealership advised while doing some other work that my power steering hoses needed to be replaced (leaking badly). He said the top two hoses needed replacement. Im trying to figure out what exactly the top two hoses are? The fluid supply line runs from the reservior to the pump. that looks as if its one of the culprits ( as its on the top of the system) not sure about the other one. i guess i need to get under the car. is this job hard? bentley manual doesnt really go into detail here...
I've heard quotes by dealers and Indies in the $250+ range, but this isn't a very hard job to DIY. It took me maybe an hour and $50 in parts (purchased from the dealer at a 20% discount thanks to my BMWCCA membership). The hardest part was finding two correct-size hose clamps (one is a little larger than the other, and I wanted to go with old reliable worm-gear hose clamps at the p/s fluid reservoir).

Anyway, your parts list is short: the two hoses that connect to your power steering reservoir, the two hose clamps, and the two aluminum (or copper? -your dealer will know) washers for where the hoses connect (at the radiator and p/s pump). Altho any Dexron III a/t fluid is acceptable, I recommend Mobil-1 synthetic a/t fluid (available at Pep Boys believe it or not). Get 2 quarts just in case, but you'll only need one I think.

I got most of what I needed to know from my Benley manual, but also found a write-up somewhere in one of the forums too. Here are the basic steps, off the top of my head:
- get the front of the car in the air (not too high), remove lower plastic panel under engine
- get a syringe or turkey baster or whatever and remove as much p/s fluid as possible from the reservoir
- remove the hose going to the radiator from the reservoir end first, then at the radiator. It will be in a metal block with another hose, and the block will be held against the radiator with a single 10mm bolt. Make sure you get the metal washers off both hoses (and replace them both) too!
- Install the new hose exactly as the old one was routed. I think Bentley gives you the torque at the radiator connex. Hand tighten at radiator first, then fully tighten hose clamp at reservoir, then go back and final torque rad connex. This will prevent introducing residual bending stress in the hose.
- Now remove the big one that goes to the p/s pump banjo fitting. I think you'll need a 24mm socket (or 15/16"?) for this one (at the pump).
- install new hose exactly as the old one was routed. make sure it isn't kinked or wedged. Uses the new washer(s). Don't fully tighten at pump until you tighten clamp at reservoir. You will need to improvise the torque b/c Bentley doesn't give it directly. You'll need to refer to the general torque table for that size fastener, but I think it was approx 18 lb-ft or something like that.
- Finally, fill the reservoir following the bleed/fill procedure provided by Bentley (follow it to the letter)
- put it all back together and go spend the $200 you saved on something else (there will ALWAYS be something else)...
- oh, I didn't have to do this, but if the reservoir cap itself is leaking, you'll need to replace the cap gasket too...

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater

Last edited by Eric S.; 04-08-2006 at 07:50 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Eric S. Thanks a million!! i guess i will need a 24mm socket and a torque wrench not to mention the new parts which should be around 60 im guessing from the dealership. cant you use the old hose clamps when replacing the hose?

'98 528i
black
auto tranny
112k miles

mods coming...
#4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
You probably could, but hose clamps are not that expensive, and a couple bucks is worth peace of mind knowing you have a secure connection on your P/S hoses.

Jason / 1997 528i
#5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 10:05 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
It is recommended whenever you remove a hose clamp you should replace it, this way you are 100% sure that the clamp won't cause you anymore headaches...also, be VERY careful when retightening the banjo bolt (not always accessable with a torque wrench) they can strech which will cause a leak...Good luck with the change out, it is a fairly easy job

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ok thanks guys for the input. i will be stopping at the dealership to purchase the parts tommorow.

'98 528i
black
auto tranny
112k miles

mods coming...
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 11:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison
Eric S. Thanks a million!! i guess i will need a 24mm socket and a torque wrench not to mention the new parts which should be around 60 im guessing from the dealership. cant you use the old hose clamps when replacing the hose?
Definitely get new hose clamps! The old clamps crapping out is one of the reasons for the leakage. You can get OEM type clamps and you'll be OK. I figured that since the hose clamps were a contributing cause of the leak, I wanted to replace mine with old-fashioned worm-gear type clamps.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 11:27 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, the OEM "clamps" are the culprits. They are actually "crimps" and are known to get loose somehow, or maybe the rubber hose shrinks a little over time and cause the leak. First, I would suggest replacing the crimps with those "screw-tight" clamps, if the leak is coming from the reservoir end. If that solves your problem, then you got lucky.

This is what I did for mine: I bought the clamps from Walmart, replaced the clamps and checked on them after that. No more leaks on them both! But the other one (under pressure) was still leaking on the lower end so I had to have that whole hose replaced. Well, at least I saved one and cut the cost by half, and it's still good till today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)