BMW Werkz banner

Just Got My E39 Bentley Service Manual

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
I don't know who dissed the E39 Bentley Manual in a review on the Amazon web site, but I just received mine, and I think it's a respectable manual. Contrary to the complaining Amazon reviewer, I don't think it short-changes the the M62 owner at all. It resolves many questions, at least for me.

For instance, the reason HappyGuy had so much trouble diagnosing his throttle "cable" issue in his '99 540? Well, in 1999, the M62TU VANOS V8 engine replaced the M62 V8 used in '97-'98. The big change was the use of VANOS on the intake valves, as well as the Bosch ME 7.2 (in lieu of M 5.2.1) engine management system with electronic throttle pedal (there is no throttle cable, it's all drive-by-wire via potentiometer). Ahhh, Bach!

Another notable change was the switch to a water-cooled alternator, mounted within the engine block's water jacket, ostensibly to eliminate alternator cooling fan noise and extend the life of the alternator. Yeah, right - we ALL know that what it really means is a much more expensive and hair-pulling experience if this fancy-schmancy one-off design ever goes belly-up! :wrench

Either way I have some serious pleasure reading ahead of me, and feel the 2-volume manual was well worth the Amazon.com sale price of $107. My dear wife is rolling her eyes... :p

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by Eric S.@Nov 12 2004, 10:31 PM
I don't know who dissed the E39 Bentley Manual in a review on the Amazon web site, but I just received mine, and I think it's a respectable manual. Contrary to the complaining Amazon reviewer, I don't think it short-changes the the M62 owner at all. It resolves many questions, at least for me.

For instance, the reason HappyGuy had so much trouble diagnosing his throttle "cable" issue in his '99 540? Well, in 1999, the M62TU VANOS V8 engine replaced the M62 V8 used in '97-'98. The big change was the use of VANOS on the intake valves, as well as the Bosch ME 7.2 (in lieu of M 5.2.1) engine management system with electronic throttle pedal (there is no throttle cable, it's all drive-by-wire via potentiometer). Ahhh, Bach!

Another notable change was the switch to a water-cooled alternator, mounted within the engine block's water jacket, ostensibly to eliminate alternator cooling fan noise and extend the life of the alternator. Yeah, right - we ALL know that what it really means is a much more expensive and hair-pulling experience if this fancy-schmancy one-off design ever goes belly-up! :wrench

Either way I have some serious pleasure reading ahead of me, and feel the 2-volume manual was well worth the Amazon.com sale price of $107. My dear wife is rolling her eyes... :p
[snapback]229770[/snapback]​
Eric,

Congratulations...I've got to get one too. Oh-now my wife is rolling her eyes! :D

Jim

#3 ·
Eric,

Congratulations...I've got to get one too. Oh-now my wife is rolling her eyes!

Jim

Just rethinking:
I'll be very carefull with this Celis rolling angel eyes business. Is it really caused by the $107 or by the too much attention the bimmer is getting? Gentlemen lets troubleshoot it too, after all it is a tech. forum. Are we walking the thin line here? I did this walk without the talk already where I cann't open the hood on my E39 anymore; but dear the Bimmer is missing may be the ICV or a plug! No no cut it out and take the Jeep to work; she does NOT roll her eyes anymore!! Anyone before I take both to the dealer?

#4 ·
Originally posted by billB@Nov 13 2004, 10:33 AM
Eric,

Congratulations...I've got to get one too. Oh-now my wife is rolling her eyes!

Jim

Just rethinking:
I'll be very carefull with this Celis rolling angel eyes business. Is it really caused by the $107 or by the too much attention the bimmer is getting? Gentlemen lets troubleshoot it too, after all it is a tech. forum. Are we walking the thin line here? I did this walk without the talk already where I cann't open the hood on my E39 anymore; but dear the Bimmer is missing may be the ICV or a plug! No no cut it out and take the Jeep to work; she does NOT roll her eyes anymore!! Anyone before I take both to the dealer?
[snapback]229967[/snapback]​
Bill, that was amazing because your posts are usually so clear and coherent.... :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.