Just Changed My Oil.. Few Questions Though... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:31 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maxxym is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well.. finally changed my oil. I have to say, I used to just drop my old Altima to the lubeshop or some place like that, but with this car, I was determined to do this myself. (with friends help)

First, I found out that drive up ramps don't work too well ghead The front is too low for the ramps. We used jack instead.

Next, I found the oil pan and that was all good, put almost 7qt of Castrol Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil. Bought the filter from the dealer for 9 bucks, which came with seal and new washer. I would say total cost was 45 bucks. Not bad...saved about 50 bucks doind this myself and I have to say.. it feels damn good. I reset my oil light using the "hold trip button" method

I have a question though....I heard people say, that there should be some kind of panel? I don't have one What panel are you guys talking about? Should there be like a plastic panel going on the bottom of the engine for outside protection? If that's the case, then mine is missing. I do have one right after the front bumper. It's like a plastic cover. Is that stuff suppose to be all the way under the engine as well? If so, where would be the best place to purchase one? I would like to do this before the snow for good protection.

I guess question is, where do you guys buy OEM BMW parts from on the net? I would like to know good reputable online store that carries OEM only parts. I don't want aftermarket or any parts that weren't originally from BMW.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Maxxym

Good job and few notes:
A. the dealers by us charge $75 for oil change; you did not do too bad on savings
B. You right about the ramps especially when the car is fitted with spoilers like mine. I have those plastic pieces where you hook it to the ramps to ease the low profile.
C. The under carriage plastic cover: the way I see it it does great job in preventing oil spots on my garage floor plus the driveway because it tends to prevent the oil from dripping when the car leaks. Also I like to think that this under cover helps the Bimmer in its aerodynamics by controlling the flow of air passing under the car.
D. OEM parts are all over the net it should not be that hard to find one.

Note: Watch it when you torque the oil pan plug; too much will destroy the threads plus that plug is hollow metal- a reminder just in case.

Regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
n00b

maxxym is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Bill

Over here, they charge 90 bucks for oil change. I wouldn't mind it but if I can do it myself, for half a price, why not right? For their one oil change, I can do 2 on my own. I am not gonna wait for the lights to go out... I think I will change it after like 5-7k miles. Just to be safe.

As for the bottom cover, I would really like to purchase one but I am not sure where. I am looking for the online store that would let me view microfishe I guess....that would be cool.... so I could see what the heck I am missing there.... I want to get that cover before the snow so engine would have some kind of protection there.

Any suggestions?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:14 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Sounds like good economics and yes I would do the same thing. As to the plastic cover; to tell you the truth I won't sweat for a new one (unless it is really cheap) since it is under and has no cosmotic effect on the car. I would start calling some auto wreckers in your area.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)