Interior Door Panel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zayd55 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Is there supposed to be a clear plastic sheet on the inside of the door panel, attached with silicone adhesive, as found on most other cars. Its just that I did not find any such plastic sheet and I am having water leaking underneath the door rubber seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 04:13 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by zayd55@Apr 27 2005, 09:36 AM
Is there supposed to be a clear plastic sheet on the inside of the door panel, attached with silicone adhesive, as found on most other cars. Its just that I did not find any such plastic sheet and I am having water leaking underneath the door rubber seal.
[snapback]338246[/snapback]

It sounds like someone else got to the plastic-- before you did--and removed it...prior owners/newer window regulator etc? This plastic sheet has nothing to do with the water leaking underneath the door; to solve this problem you have to either:
A. check the rubber/weather seals on the door itself and/or
B. locate the draining holes at the buttom of the door itself; they tend to get clogged by dirt...a pointy object/stiff wire will do...if water is present INSIDE the door you'll see it dripping out of these little holes...

P.S. are you sure water does not overflow from your rocker panels? wet carpet? if so locate these tiny (slits not holes) close to your jacking points and clear them to drain properly--these slits function as 1/2 drain for your sunroof..the other 1/2 comes out of the back towards the trunk!!......hope this will sort it out...good luck

regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
actually i have experienced leaks from the bottom of door panels from the foam vapor barrier not being installed correctly. although i have never had a car leak with the plastic barrier i'm pretty sure the plastic has the same purpose as the newer foam barriers.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
The plastic sheeting functions as a seal; as such water runs down and drains out the bottom of the door. Notice the drains are located on the outside of the door seals. Thus even if the barrier was bad, the water will run out, as long as the “drains/holes” are not clogged……
#5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

i agree with you on the drains. i'm just speaking fomr experience thats all. i think that if it rains really hard or the car goes through a car wash or something the water can run down the window reg. or somehow splash onto the back of the door panel and it can run out of the bottom of the door panel into the car.i have seen this happen before. all it took on that car was me pouring water out of a jug onto the base of the window and once enough water was poured it would run out of the bottom of the door panel
#6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
5th Gear Member

Bryan

Fair and Excellent Replies.....Thankyou

regards
billb
#7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

no prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)