Instrument cluster - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:24 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
OK, i have a burnt out light on my temp gauge and a little squeak INSIDE the instrument cluster, and i want to fix the bulb and the squeak, however.... my steering wheel is a non-tilt wheel and i do not feel comfortable with removing the steering wheel / airbag, but i cant really afford to have this fixed at BMW.

Does anybody know an alternate way to lower the steering wheel or to remove the top part of the dash on a 1990 525?

thanks guys~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear Member

TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
If there isn't enough room to slide the cluster behind the wheel, then remove the steering wheel.
Diconnect the battery, and you'll avoid setting off the srs light.
I don't ever disconnect the battery, like you're supposed to do, I just keep the key off.
But I'd disconnect the battery, remove the airbag-there are two torx bolts behind the steering wheel, probably 25 or 27, maybe 30 in size.
One bolt holds the steering wheel on.
Be careful of the slip ring connector, you should disconnect it before yanking on the wheel.
Be sure to mark the wheel so it goes back on straight.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I had a similar problem. My check engine light would nto turn on!! now stupid california state laws say that light must turn on as soon as u turn on ur car for emission standards, wat bullshit. I passed emissions easy but they failed me cuz that little bulb....anywho wut u do is u start pulling out the cluster and turn the wheel so that teh cluster partially stick out of the wheel. this way u can slide ur hands, ur little cuzins hands, or ur kids hands in their to reach the back and therebyhave access to the back of the cluster.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:22 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
the instrument cluster should slide out without having to remove the steering wheel , if i can recall when i helped with one, once we got it looose from connections and pulled forward, we tilted the steering wheel all the way down and out, then put a rag on the wheel to avoid scuffing the cluster.
however i maybe mistaken now that i think of it. it might have been a different car but ill post this anyways just in case there is some validity to what ive wrote.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
In my car, 89 525i, the cluster would not fit through the steering wheel and i do not have the tilt feature on my car.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
///M Power, did you ever get it out? did you need to? what did you end up doing? thanks!

#7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/air...agAndBulbs.html

there... i guess i need to do this too...one of my bulbs is off and on all the time (one for gas)

#8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Nope i never got mine out, what i ended up doing was tilting it and sticking my hand through the wheel, putting my head in an awkward position and hoping i pulled out the right bulb! darn, i want tilt wheel! Good luck, i still have more bulbs to replace, liek my fog light bulbs.

I also have anothe rproblem with my cluster, it soemtimes goes haywaire. Gas gauge upside down, the lights behind my gas and temp gauges r always off, the lower part of the unit where the led displays information wont light up. i really wish to see this convenient innovation by BMW, will i have to dish out the dinero for a new unit? or is anyoen else havign this problem and able to fix it?

#9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
you either have a problem with just bulbs, or some kind of capacitors in there that I've heard people talk about...

I'll try to find something on it

#10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah its the capacitors, i beleive.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/.../capacitors.htm

theres the link from bmwe34.net , but you have to get it out first :lol:

good luck

#11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:34 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the instructions TECH, but for peace of mind, i prefer to use that as my last resort - i just dont want to mess with any safety equipment in fear that it wont work (even if the airbag light didnt come on) - im just wierd.

Anyway, on bmwe34.net i read something about lowering the steering columnso the wheel drops down, but then it says that this can set off the airbag. Does anybody know how i could do it safely? do they mean it can set off the airbag if i let it drop hard?

Thanks again

#12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Keep it Copacetic

hahah bmwe34.net is my bible!

#13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 11:57 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh, lovely.... i found out that one of the bulbs i need to replace is INSIDE the cluster, not on the backside like most

what luck!

#14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:52 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Just went out there and tried to squeeze my hand in all the crevices to see if i can get the smaller burned out bulb.... but not happenin'.

does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on lowering the steering column like i mentioned above??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)