Installing MP3 Changer - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
abooyeung is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question for those out there who had installed their own CD Changer or MP3 Changer. I have purchased a Alpine MP3 Changer to be installed in the left side of the trunk where the CD Changer would normally go. I have a 2000 528i. I have noticed that there are 2 screws that are already mounted into the frame of the car where I can use to hold the MP3 changer brackets. The only problem is that I do not see any nuts for the screws to hold the brackets. I went to Home Depot and it seems that the threading on those screws are not standard. Any ideas where I can get 2 of those nuts to bolt down the brackets using the existing screws?

Thanks,
Bruce
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I actually visited the BMW dealer today to see if the Parts department would carry the specialized nuts. Unfortunately, the Parts Dept is not opened on Sundays. At any rate, one of the salesman was nice enough to show me the trunk of a 2000. We found out that the nut is made of plastic. The salesman did say that they sold the full installation kit for the CD Changer for $350 which would include the specialized plastic nuts and some mounting brackets.

Since I already have the mounting brackets that came with my MP3 Changer and do not want to pay $350 for some plastic nuts, anyone out there have any ideas of where to get these specialized plastic nuts?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Cool

Okay, after a few days of research and trying different options, I read from another BMW forum that the dealer carries specialized mounting brackets for the rear trunk CD changer option. Since the Alpine MP3 changer is the same size as the Alpine CD Changer that the dealer sells, it fit exactly the same.

After talking with the actual parts dept at the dealer, I found out that the mounting brackets were only $25 instead of $350 which the salesman told me. Needless to say that I bought the brackets which included all of the screws and bolts too.

The directions that come with the mounting brackets are not clear at all, but after playing around with the 2 brackets and figuring out how they fit in the trunk space, the rest of the installation was quick from there.

Anyhow, don't want to bore everyone with the actual details, but if anyone wants to hook up a 6-disc MP3 changer, there are additional pieces of hardware and cables needed to interface with the factory radio. I can post that info later if anyone is having the same confusion that I had a few days earlier...
Old 01-30-2004, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:

After using my newly installed MP3 Changer for my e39, it works great. Instead of having to go to the trunk to change CDs constantly (even though it is a 6-disc changer), 1 MP3 discs can contain about 7 complete CDs.

Just thought that I would mention to anyone thinking of making the switch that it is well worth it. Also, the Alpine MP3 changer is a exact fit, in terms of the mounting brackets, for the current BMW 6-disc CD Changer or Alping 6-disc CD Changer. You do need an adapter and an extra cable though. (by the way, the MP3 changer is still controllabe using the steering wheel buttons!)

Just thought that I would share the experience.

Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)