Installing "Angel Eyes" on a 97 528 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Baashar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Baashar
Installing "Angel Eyes" on a 97 528

How much will it set me back? What options do I have? Thanks
Baashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMW_Bowtie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up little costly, but very nice

I just finished this purchase and install. I followed the advise of Hawk2100n from a post in another BMW forum. Here is the excerpt from his post:

"I ordered my headlights from www.partstrain.com. I ordered the Halogens with amber turn signals, as these are the cheapest. The link shows that the car these are for is a 2001 BMW 530i, but these will fit all e39's. There was no change when the E39 was facelifted in the headlight size or shape. The headlights are genuine Hella original equipment replacements and come with the bracket and screws that holds them in. Adjusting them is fairly easy, though you need an allen key because these new ones do not come with a knob to turn. There are 4 screws to remove for the old ones to come out, then you remove the bottom bracket with 2 more screws. Replace this with the bracket that comes with the light and use the screws provided. Then insert the headlight, which takes a little finnesse to slide it into the socket, and use the existing screws and you are done. It takes about 15-20 minutes per side. The passenger side has the AC filler tube that has to be bent about 1 inch out of the way, but that is the only modification. The metal is soft and this can be carefully done by hand. The wiring is very simple too. You can either buy a wiring harness from a BMW parts dept or online. I went to BMW and spent way too much. I think that bekkers.com or mabey eurosportdesign.com sells these for a lot less than BMW. I had to modify these to adapt to the AE's, but this only involves cutting and splicing 2 wires. All of the sockets are ready and dont need to be modified."

I ordered the headlights from partstrain and the wiring harness from eurosportdesign. My total for the install was $588. This seems like a lot, but you do get all new bulbs (4 each) with the new headlights. My old lights were sandblasted on the outside with condensation and very broke adjusters. I had added zip ties to get the beam infront of the car, but this install gave the car a major youthful look with a much better low and high beam light output.
BMW_Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
That sounds pretty good, 500 isnt too bad, have a question though, I found these rings on ebay for 50 bucks, http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-E39-E65-E66-...QQcmdZViewItem

what about those?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
just an upgrade

That kit upgrades the angel eyes to a brighter element. You have to have the angel eyes to use that kit. There are some cheaper lights on eBay, but I didn't want to chance an incorrect fit. The lights I recieved from parts train are Hella and they fit snug and perfect.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
you might want to try using umnitza predators == i think those are the rings you're talking about ($200 rings lol) basically you have to take your headlight assmbly apart and epoxy the rings onto the headlight and put it all back together. You also need to wire em up and to tell you the truth, if you knwo what you're doing it will still take you about 2 hours

the best bet (if you dont care about $$$) is simply by buying the whole DDE headlight assembly, which will set you back a good $800+

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Bowtie
I just finished this purchase and install. I followed the advise of Hawk2100n from a post in another BMW forum. Here is the excerpt from his post:

"I ordered my headlights from www.partstrain.com. I ordered the Halogens with amber turn signals, as these are the cheapest. The link shows that the car these are for is a 2001 BMW 530i, but these will fit all e39's. There was no change when the E39 was facelifted in the headlight size or shape. The headlights are genuine Hella original equipment replacements and come with the bracket and screws that holds them in. Adjusting them is fairly easy, though you need an allen key because these new ones do not come with a knob to turn. There are 4 screws to remove for the old ones to come out, then you remove the bottom bracket with 2 more screws. Replace this with the bracket that comes with the light and use the screws provided. Then insert the headlight, which takes a little finnesse to slide it into the socket, and use the existing screws and you are done. It takes about 15-20 minutes per side. The passenger side has the AC filler tube that has to be bent about 1 inch out of the way, but that is the only modification. The metal is soft and this can be carefully done by hand. The wiring is very simple too. You can either buy a wiring harness from a BMW parts dept or online. I went to BMW and spent way too much. I think that bekkers.com or mabey eurosportdesign.com sells these for a lot less than BMW. I had to modify these to adapt to the AE's, but this only involves cutting and splicing 2 wires. All of the sockets are ready and dont need to be modified."

I ordered the headlights from partstrain and the wiring harness from eurosportdesign. My total for the install was $588. This seems like a lot, but you do get all new bulbs (4 each) with the new headlights. My old lights were sandblasted on the outside with condensation and very broke adjusters. I had added zip ties to get the beam infront of the car, but this install gave the car a major youthful look with a much better low and high beam light output.
Can I see a picture of them,with em off, and with em on.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yeah. I will try to grab a couple of pictures tonight if I can find my digital camera.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Before and After Pics

Here is a before and after pic of the headlights. Sorry both days were rainy when taking the shots.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Read the Stickie by Jlevi!

Try reading the stickie by Jlevi at the top of the board entitled, "help! I Want Better Headlights On My 5er!" That does a good job of explaining your E39 headlight options.
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Bowtie
Here is a before and after pic of the headlights. Sorry both days were rainy when taking the shots.

Thanks man, I appreciate the pics, I might have to check those out, Ive got a white 528i just like that, so now I know exactly what its gonna look like.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Rob2525 is on a distinguished road
dam i just got my white 2000 528i also and from the pictures that u posted it looks soo much nicer with the angel eyes. i really need to order those like tonight, but also i got a nother question does any one know ne thing about changing your taillights to the 2001-2004 style cause i think they look soo much better than the yellow on top, also i was wondering if the ones that were on the 97-00 M5's would look a lot better.

i kind of want to get the ones with the LED's , but i heard they are a lot harder to install. if any one has any info please reply.
Rob2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)