Idle problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 05:49 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
broketiltuesday is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi all, this is my first post in the 5-series forums as I sold my E30 318 and got an E34 525 a couple of weeks ago.

My problem is that soon after I got the 5 I went on holiday for 10 days and left it parked with the alarm armed... when I got back into it last night, the battery was completely drained, I guess because of the alarm. This was surprising, but whatever, and I jumped it. No problem there. What it is now though is that it cannot idle. I let go of the gas either in neutral or in gear with the clutch down and the idle drops away and stalls.

It can run with no probs so long as I keep the gas covered.

I'm wondering what the hell's going on as it was driving like a champ for a 150mile run the day before I left and it's been completely untouched as far as I can tell.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks...

Tom.

Gone but not forgotten: '87 UK 318... Carb madness!
Currently: '90 UK 525i completely stock

"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
-Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 06:14 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the battery's had it to me - while you have revs up, there is enough charge going straight from the alternator, through the battery and to the ignition system but no charge is being stored in the battery - hence when you lift off, the alternator stops supplying such a large charge to the battery, which in turn (as it has not been storing charge) supplies an inferior charge to the ignition system.

The alternative is the alternator itself could be buggered and is not charging the battery properly - hence when you lift off your ignition system literally drains the battery instantly.

If possibly try borrowing a battery and trying it out on your beamer (or bimmer as you all seem to call them).

Hope this helps
#3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:09 AM
n00b

broketiltuesday is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Jul 27 2004, 06:54 AM
Sounds like the battery's had it to me - while you have revs up, there is enough charge going straight from the alternator, through the battery and to the ignition system but no charge is being stored in the battery - hence when you lift off, the alternator stops supplying such a large charge to the battery, which in turn (as it has not been storing charge) supplies an inferior charge to the ignition system.

The alternative is the alternator itself could be buggered and is not charging the battery properly - hence when you lift off your ignition system literally drains the battery instantly.

If possibly try borrowing a battery and trying it out on your beamer (or bimmer as you all seem to call them).

Hope this helps
Thanks... that hadn't really occurred to me. After keeping it running for 20-30mins I let it drop off and tried restarting, which made me think the battery was okayish. However the engine being warm, this wasn't really a fair test, I'll try it again from cold and see if the battery can handle it. It was proper drained, to the point of the central locking/interior lights not working so it's very likely it's now buggered.

It's a better thought than the alternatives I've been mentally going through, ie the ECU being damaged in some way.

Whilst it was running earlier I got someone to hold the gas while I multimetered various parts of the charging system and the battery was getting a clean 14.5v across it at revs so HOPEFULLY the alternator's okay (the one in my old 3 randomly failed on me on a nighttime drive, which was fun... had to follow a lorry off the dark road where I was as the lights were a nogo).

Definitely "Beamer", don't like the sound of "Bimmer" -- not a snob but it sounds a bit pikey council estate...

Gone but not forgotten: '87 UK 318... Carb madness!
Currently: '90 UK 525i completely stock

"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
-Mark Twain
#4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 12:28 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol Yeah gotta agree there.

Hope you get sorted.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 01:59 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
bimmer and beamer are at least pronounced the same :lol:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)