I Think I Have A Major Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scotty Dangles is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey Guys,

I fear I have a large problem on my hands.

This morning when I went to take the car out it did not want to start. Even worse nothing on it responded, the battery was absolutely dead. So at first I thought it was a dead battery(i may have left something on by accident), until I tried to boost the car. After about 20 minutes trying the car would not start, all of a sudden when I went to pull my key out my computer chimmed in and told me my coolant level was low.

So I take a look at my coolant level and find that there is absolutely no coolant left. I look under the car and there is a pool of coolant, it must have spilled lastnight. The pool of coolant was closer the the middle of the car, so it didn't leak by the rad.

The car actually did this yestarday as well, except that it could start and everthing was fine(battery worked still), I just had no coolant. The car did not come close to overheating. So I stopped by an economy lube and had it filled up. I then took the car to the BMW dealership to have a mechanic look at it. After he checked it he didn't think there was a leak or anything wrong he assumed the motor just purged itself because the proper procedures for bleeding the system weren't done right when the last guy did a coolant system flush. So he sent me off my way. I kept checking the car periodically, everything seemed fine, it drove great also....!!!

Any ideas what could be wrong??

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Scotty Dangles is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Just to update anyone interested in replying:

I just checked the oil, I have no coolant in the oil, which is a great thing!!

My guess after talking to dad is the thermostat is stuck, I don't know if its stuck open or closed.

I'll take er to the shop tomorrow.

Does anyone know why my battery would be dead and why I could not start my car?? Is there a safety system that prevents the engine from running if there is no coolant in the system???

Thanks
Scott
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 04:19 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty Dangles@Feb 6 2005, 01:25 PM
Just to update anyone interested in replying:

I just checked the oil, I have no coolant in the oil, which is a great thing!!

My guess after talking to dad is the thermostat is stuck, I don't know if its stuck open or closed.

I'll take er to the shop tomorrow.

Does anyone know why my battery would be dead and why I could not start my car?? Is there a safety system that prevents the engine from running if there is no coolant in the system???

Thanks
Scott
[snapback]286888[/snapback]
Stuck thermostat is a pretty good guess. Could be a number of things. The battery issue is most likely unrelated and a separate issue. There is no onboard measures in place to shut the engine down on overheat.

DT

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)