I need some help, I need to get this transmission pan off asap! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
modenaf1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I need some help, I need to get this transmission pan off asap!

Hi guys, I have a 1995 540i automatic with the 5hp30 trans. I was changing my trans fluid when the nozzle to the pump I was using to pump the fluid in from the bottom broke off inside the pan.

I'm now going to take the pan off to get it out. There are a ton of t-27 torx screws, I got to the second screw only to find it was already partially stripped out by whoever serviced the transmission last. Does anyone have any tips on what the hell I am supposed to do now? Is this car ever going to be drivable again? I have absolutely no idea what the hell to do with these being stripped out. If I drill the head off the screw, I doubt the stud of the screw is going to spin freely and come out. Where can you even get replacement screws?

If anyone can help that would be appreciated, I would hate to believe my BMW is totaled out because theres a piece of plastic in my transmission pan with no way to get the pan off and get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
There is a tool you can get for removing bolts that have broken off, I think they are call easy outs. You drill a small pilot hole into the shaft of the bolt and then screw in the easy out (reverse thread) which eventually locks onto the bolt shaft and theorectically winds it out. If the thread is stuffed you may need to change the bolt size and rethread the holes in the new size. The bolts can be obtained from the usual supplied like Pelican or FCP Buy Car Parts - Aftermarket Auto Parts - Volvo Parts, VW Parts, Audi Parts, BMW Parts, Mercedes Parts, Porsche Parts.
I assume from this that you didn't change the filter when you changed the oil? Maybe order a filter at the same time as the bolts.
Good luck

Riding in style
#3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Neutral Member

BBenedict is on a distinguished road
Yes, if you can't just take it out with a pair of vise grips, get an easy out. They are available just about everywhere, Sears, most any local auto part stores, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)