I need another key for an e39..question though. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blowntypes is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I need another key for an e39..question though.

I purchase this 97 528 about a month ago and the last owner only have one key for me. My question is this, i know i can go to the dealer and get one made. But can i not get a key of ebay and have it program for my car?Or is it a must to go to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
each key has a transponder inside of it which must be flashed to match the EWS security system in the car. The tools and know how to do this far surpass the cost of a new key from the dealer.

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wow, so they told me it will cost $80 u.s dollars for it, does that seems right?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
n00b

yaofeng is on a distinguished road
My 03 325i key costs $200 from the dealer. And I have to show up with my car registration and my driver's license to get it made.

95 525i 5 speed 5/94,
94 540it built 3/93, converted to 6 speed w/a 93 e32 M60 engine
01 540it, 6/01
03 325i, 9/02
10 mini 6 speed
#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
n00b

bowtie is on a distinguished road
I was quoted 170.00 last week, dealerships and the government = bend over.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Darn..maybe they just gave me a price just for the key!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 PM
n00b

danielz40 is on a distinguished road
key

I understand it's easy to program the key, just take out the chip from the key and stick the chip in the unit that is in the car, and turn the ignition. The actual key is different though, i bet it can be made at any professional locksmith shop.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielz40 View Post
I understand it's easy to program the key, just take out the chip from the key and stick the chip in the unit that is in the car, and turn the ignition. The actual key is different though, i bet it can be made at any professional locksmith shop.
Are you making a joke?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowntypes View Post
Darn..maybe they just gave me a price just for the key!!!
That should be with the programming and everything. That said, that price is usually for just a plane jane key; none of the fancy remote fob integrated ones or anything.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well i guess i just have to suck it up and get one. I only have one and if i lose it, i'll be screw!
#11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
n00b

danielz40 is on a distinguished road
No, just google it

I just googled it, here is one way I found:

X5, E46, E38 & E39 Diamond Shaped Key

To carry out this procedure you need to have one working key and one key which requires programming. Please read on if you do not have a working key as this is also covered further down. It may help sometimes to hold the key close to the rear view mirror as this is where the sensor is located in most models.

1. With both keys, get in the car and close all windows and doors.

2. Put working key into the ignition and turn to position 1 (the accessories should turn on)

3. Turn the key back to position 0 and take the key out of the ignition.

4. Using the working key, hold down the unlock button, press the BMW logo (lock button) 3 times, and release the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock.

5. With the new key, hold down the unlock button and press the BMW logo (lock button) 3 times and let go of the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock and you're done!!

Alternate Procedure:

1. Switch ignition on and off within 5 seconds, with all doors closed.

2. Take key out of ignition and press unlock button. Hold unlock button whilst pressing the lock button 3 times, all within 10 seconds.

3. Release unlock button.

4. The system recognises re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the doors.

5. You have to do your other keys within 30 seconds after reprogramming your first key by following steps 2,3 & 4 only.

Alternate procedure if above doesn't work or if you do not have a working remote:

1. Turn key to position 1 five times very quickly
2. Remove key
3. Hold unlock button then press lock button 3 times, release unlock button.
4. If you have another key do the same button pressing within 30 seconds
5. Turn on ignition to finalize

Older 3 Button Key (E36, E38, E39)

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

1. Get in and close all doors
2. Turn the ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds
3. First key - hold down button #2 (unlock - on the bottom left with the key blade pointing up) while striking button #1 (lock - the BMW logo) three times. Release button #2. This should be confirmed by door lock operation.
4. If you have more than 1 key then you need to repeat for the other keys within 30 seconds of first or they will be rendered inactive.
5. After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (it is not necessary to start the engine).

Both keys should now have new randomly selected security code words - assigned by the car's system.
Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

This occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit the buttons more than 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.

The above was from link w/ directions to program key
and also at Reprogramming Key Fob on BMW X5 - Xoutpost.com
Also at dead key fob needs reprogramming [Archive] - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Again, another way is for just the fob: The fob has a chip inside the remote. You take out the chip. Under the back seat of the car, drivers side is the remote key unit. Open up this unit, there is a chip socket there. Plug the chip in the socket. Turn the ignition and the chip will get programmed. Then take out the chip and replace it into the key fob. Why is that so hard to believe? It seems logical to me. There seem to be many different ways, depending on the model. This is just for the chip. The actual key that goes into the ignition can be made at a pro locksmith shop.
#12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 PM
n00b

MikeMatts is on a distinguished road
My remote does not work anymore. I have tried all the programming button pushes and had the BMW guy try as well. When I needed a new key and told him the remote doesn't work, he quoted me the $80 key so you are probably not getting the electronic key. BTW, I wanted to spend the least amount since I knew where the key was, so I asked if there was a valet key. That got it down to $69!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)