i have a problem occuring... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shoyoas is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
i have a problem occuring...

my steering wheel wobbles pretty ruff when i apply the brakes and goes away if i apply brake with more force. what would cause this? i was told brake rotors need turning by two people who didn't even look at or drive the car. i believe it to be steering rack or control arm related but is this common?

'97 528i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoyoas View Post
my steering wheel wobbles pretty ruff when i apply the brakes and goes away if i apply brake with more force. what would cause this? i was told brake rotors need turning by two people who didn't even look at or drive the car. i believe it to be steering rack or control arm related but is this common?
I would have said it's your rotors, but the fact that it goes away under harder braking doesn't make sense. I thought that generally, with more force(providing you still have plenty of momentum) the wheel would shake more noticeably if it was the rotors...but i could be a complete douchebag and be pulling this out of my ass. Anyone to back me up on this one?
I would think that something in your front end, as you mentioned steering rack or something like that, is more likely the case. There are certainly some minds in here that should be able to give you a much better idea of what you;re dealing with. Good luck!

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thx PC. i had a '95 mustang gt with same symptoms. i thought it was the control arm bushings or wheel bearings. i replaced the bearings and no luck. so i took it to pepboys and they determined it was my inner tie rods. (they also stated that the bushings were a bit worn). i'm think i may be dealing with the same problem.

here's my engine bay. i'll try to take a closer pic i a few...

'97 528i
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Looks nice and clean under there...tie rods kind of hit me as well...you never know though.

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
You should probably check out the rotors, and the control arm bushings, to begin with.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

MEDSTUDENT87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MEDSTUDENT87
I Can Almost Gurrantee It Is The Rotors. Oopps Sorry For Writing In Capitals But I Am At Work And That Is The Way The Letters Write. Any Way I Had That Exact Issue With My '90 525i. It Would Shake Really Bad Under Braking And If More Force Was Applied It Would Go Away. One Thing Though Make Sure You Use Brembo Or Oem Rotors. I Went Through All Kinds Of High Performance Rotors And They Would Warp In A Matter Of Days! Once I Put Brembos On The Car She Brake Nice And Smooth For Over 6 Months Now. I Also Thought It Was Suspension Too But My Mechain Said It Wasnt And He Was Right. Good Luck!

MONEY DOESN'T BUT HAPPINESS BUT CRYING IN A BMW IS MORE COMFORTING THAN CRYING IN A KIA!!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
cool. rotors are the cheapest fix anyway so i'll do those first.

'97 528i
#8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
teh Canuck....eh

Good call, might as well upgrade them while you're at it! Maybe something slotted would be good for you.

Sir Winston Churchill
#9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat View Post
Good call, might as well upgrade them while you're at it! Maybe something slotted would be good for you.
i may avoid that. i read somewhere on here that u should stick with oem or brembo. most others warp pretty easy. anyone on here have experience with aftermarket vented/slotted disc?

'97 528i
#10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
teh Canuck....eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoyoas View Post
i may avoid that. i read somewhere on here that u should stick with oem or brembo. most others warp pretty easy. anyone on here have experience with aftermarket vented/slotted disc?
I have heard that really the only rotors to avoid are drilled. Slotted should be fine, or OEM...either/or. I do believe that Brembo sells slotted rotors for your car.

Sir Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)