I Can't Take It Any More - Selling My 540/6! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 08:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy I Can't Take It Any More - Selling My 540/6!

After spending over $6K on my car in the just-under-two years I've had it, I realize I cannot afford to risk owning my '99 540 6-speed any longer. The failure of my expensive water-cooled and hard-to-find alternator last Monday was the last straw (see my separate thread on that topic).

My car may be fine now for another 2 or 3 years, but who knows? I cannot afford to risk any more high-dollar repairs, and since this is my daily driver, I have to be able to depend on it. I know it sure looks good and goes like stink. I'm sure that the first serious looker will buy it, because it looks really good and is well sorted-out.

So now that I've decided to sell it, I've started looking at what's available out there for around what my car is worth (around $14K). I've settled on the 2002 to 2003 Nissan Maxima SE-L 6-Speed. 255 HP, all the bells and whistles, and LOTS more reliability than the 540, it shouldn't be TOO big of a step down...

Being partial to Honda, I am also considering a 2000 to 2003 Accord V6, but the pre-03's had a relatively paltry 200HP, all only offer the automatic. It may come down to what will be my best relative deal.

I'll be around awhile and am in no rush to sell until I find that 'next' car. You guys have been awesome and I've learned a s-load of info here since buying my 540 in october 2004.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Neutral Member

wcleafs is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to see you let her go!
You sometimes have to do whats best for the wallet, its a shame.

Good luck with that Asian stuff

Cheers mate

GO LEAFS GO
#3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 12:06 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
AWWWWW.....Eric....are you sure you don't need some time to think this over?? Afterall, you've changed so many parts on the car, it's full of new parts that will be good for a while yet!

#4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosBlack
AWWWWW.....Eric....are you sure you don't need some time to think this over?? Afterall, you've changed so many parts on the car, it's full of new parts that will be good for a while yet!
I hear ya, but I simply cannot trust it any more. The trust has been broken. It is truly a beautiful car, but I have to be able to make child support payments fer cryin' out loud! (actually that's true)

Anyway, I live near a trusted Honda indy I've known for years who is good and cheap, so I am leaning toward a Honda, especially since I've discovered that in the 2003 model year Honda made a 6-speed manual available with the 240HP V6 on the Accord EX coupe. I know it's no E39, but hey, it can be modded, and I can afford mods if I'm not always paying for $1400 AC parts and $1000 alternators.

My second choice is a '02 or '03 Maxima 6-speed (255 HP) SE-L, but I don't have my parts/repair network established for Nissan as I do Honda.

BTW, my wife has been noticeably happier today knowing that I am trying to take the fiscally conservative path on this.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:13 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
What about the Acura TL? It looks pretty sharp, is that within your budget?

#6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosBlack
What about the Acura TL? It looks pretty sharp, is that within your budget?
The TL is in play, but I am limited in price, and can only afford the pre-2003 TL's, which aren't the prettiest, IMHO. Also, I don't think the 6-speed was very available until 2002 or 2003, putting it out of my sub-$15K price range on today's market.

Thanks for the prod though, I'll go back & check...

Edit: OK, I've checked and there are multiple '02-ish Type S sedans available for $15K or less within driving distance of my house. Hmmmm.... Of course, all are slushboxes. Thanks, I'll check it out more later too!

Last edited by Eric S.; 08-31-2006 at 07:31 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Bummer Eric. Always loved your car. Of course only yo can truly asses your financial situation and we can just sit here and hope you dont leave us loving folks at Bimmerwerkz. Test drive one of those 255 hp Maxima's, im sure you'll be surprisingly disappointed, I know I was. My friend has one.

Good Luck and keep us updated!

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
Bummer Eric. Always loved your car. Of course only yo can truly asses your financial situation and we can just sit here and hope you dont leave us loving folks at Bimmerwerkz. Test drive one of those 255 hp Maxima's, im sure you'll be surprisingly disappointed, I know I was. My friend has one.

Good Luck and keep us updated!
Thanks //M! I'm not "gone" yet, and I realize that just about anything else I drive will be disappointing compared to my burly 540. I'm only hoping I can find something that's close. I am now looking at 2003 Accord V6 coupes 6-speeds (240HP) and Acura CL Type S 6-speeds (260 hp) in hopes of finding one I'll like. The Maxima's still in play too, and offers more torque than the Hondas.

However, I totally realize that none of those has anywhere near the 324 lb-ft I have with my 540.

I think the thing I'll miss most is the one-touch window and sunroof buttons. <sigh>

On the plus side, I know from experience with my multiple previous Hondas that I can more easily & cheaply boost performance (via aftermarket CAI's, exhaust, and the like) with those than I could with the 540. I never altered my 540 b/c I read that it doesn't respond well to such mods (not much more power, prone to CEL, etc.).

#9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
One more try... Did you contact BMRPARTS.COM for the alternator? It'll be a used one but.... Anyway, sucks to see you go

LOS
#10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
*cry*

You will be missed man... make sure that there are no other options before you let her go. but if you do definetely get a honda or the acura, don't get a nissan... my friend's mom's alternator just died with 30,000 on her altima... wtf?

but once again, you'll miss the hell out of everything your bmw gives u!

1993 BMW 325I - Alpina White
#11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 12:55 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rej487
*cry*

You will be missed man... make sure that there are no other options before you let her go. but if you do definetely get a honda or the acura, don't get a nissan... my friend's mom's alternator just died with 30,000 on her altima... wtf?

but once again, you'll miss the hell out of everything your bmw gives u!

Hey man, alternators WILL fail every now and then. That's OK. What is NOT ok is when it's impossible to find one b/c it's a rare water-cooled variant, originally made by only one manufacturer (Bosch), and when you do it's ridiculously expensive.

No, Los, I didn't try your source, I tried car-part.com to no avail. I'll give your guys a try. If that doesn't pan out, I'll stick w/Plan A, which is remove my existing alternator and get it rebuilt and re-install it. The rebuilders offer a lifetime warranty on their work so what the heck. About $250.

#12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Eric S, the alternator for your car is at BMA for $392.41... not too bad. Well hope that helps a little bit.

Good luck with whatever you do. BTW - I think you are just in that mileage that is typically "high maintenance," aren't you?

My 540 just got through that stage - my e34 too. Bad times. lol :
In the end, I'm glad I kept what I have.

#13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

MarksBMW is hated around these parts MarksBMW is hated around these parts MarksBMW is hated around these parts MarksBMW is hated around these parts
Eric, you have a very nice car , and I'll miss you, but what about an Acura TSX?

2002 BMW 325i- Black on Black
1967 Chevrolet Corvette 327/350 Convertible- Silver on Black
2006 Toyota Rav4 4x4- White on Grey
1986 John Deere 160- Green on yellow

"That ain't a tool; that's a damn brick."
"We mine as well call prison and make reservations."
-Funny Black Guy from Gone in Sixty Seconds
#14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBMW
Eric, you have a very nice car , and I'll miss you, but what about an Acura TSX?
Hey, I would LOVE a TSX, but they're a bit too pricey yet for me. I want a break-even situation if at all possible, and I plan to list my car for about $14,200. The cheapest used TSX's I found on Cars.com were still over $18K.

That said, I've researched the 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe, and specifically the 6-speed manual, and I think that's what I'll try to buy next. It has impressive enough performance (0-60 in 6.2, 1/4 mi in 14.5/98mph, according to MT December 2002's test), is big enough to be more ortho-friendly to me, and now that my youngest is 3-1/2, I no longer necessarily need 4 doors. The 6-speed version comes with special carbon-fiber trim, 17" wheels (as opposed to 16's), and a reportedly sweet-sounding intake. It also sports something I've always longed for in my 540 - dual exhaust with two mufflers! Best of all the front seats are on par with my 540's, and the seats are one thing I LOVE about my 540! :-) The 6-speed coupes are rare, but they're out there, about $14,500 to $16,900 for mileage range of 45K to 70K. I'm probably going to have to travel out of state to buy one.

I finally received my 32mm fan bolt tool today and removed my alternator and took it up to the rebuild place. I'll know sometime Tuesday whether they can rebuild it. If not, I can always order one from AllOEM for $363. Removing it was a messy job, and I got coolant EVERYWHERE! That alternator is heav-veee too, brother!

So once I get the car fixed, hopefully by the weekend of the 9th, I'm listing it on cars.com for $14,200. It really doesn't need anything else, but as mentioned I need a daily driver and Honda and I go way back. Take a look at my gallery page and let me know if you are interested.

#15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 04:20 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
it's sad to see her go, but i agree with you entirely.
if every repair you make costs you more than buying a beater car and driving that, it's absolutely ridiculous!
as far as your choice of next ride goes, a friend of mine got his 03 type-s CL for a little under $10,000! it's high milage, but the fact is you can find what you're looking for given time. I got a ride in it - it's a nice car. I feel like the maxima would have the most interior room, but less reliable than honda/acura.

Your choice of next car is a good one. The honda shouldn't give you problems at all. My only concern is that you'll be probably hating it for the first month since you've been spoiled by the 5-er.

I'd say screw it all, get few more thousands, buy yourself NSX

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)