BMW Werkz banner

How to remove block drain plug?

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  amh 
#1 ·
1992 525i, built 9/91 217,000 miles owned since new

And yes, I spent an hour searching the archives

Changing coolant was a job I would let a good indy handle, since I no longer live near one..................

There has to be a better way to drain the engine block. My hands are too large to fit between the exhaust manifold/downfall pipe and engine block to remove the 19mm drain plug.

I might have to make a tool, say a piece of strap, take a 19mm socket, cut it in half and spot weld it onto the piece of strap. That would slip in the tight space and give me the leverage to loosen the plug.

What I need to do is flush the coolant, there is some green shit in the system from an emergency repair not too long ago. I always use distilled water and BMW blue coolant. And it's past due for a good flush.

I thought about removing all the hoses from the radiator and water pump, then remove the heater hose from the rear of the block (hose runs from the rear of block to heater valve) and flush from there, but that would leave regular water in the system.

Any thoughts how to remove the block drain plug?

Alan

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.