BMW Werkz banner

How easy is it to convert my e34 525i auto transmission to a manual transmission?

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ///Ramon 
#1 ·
Pleeeease somebody help me. My transmission went out about 4 weeks ago and I have been looking for a junkyard tranny everywhere around here but am having no luck. I did find a manual transmission for the exact year and model that I have but wanted to know if anyone knew how hard of a swap it would be? Id greatly appreciate some input.:help

#3 ·
I am almost done doing it on my 325. Do you have the M50 motor, or M20? I havent actually spent that much, and I bought a lot of new parts. If you are serious let me know, and I can send you some info and DIY's I have been using.

#4 ·
Actually, it shouldn't be that bad, especially since it's older than 96. After that you need to worry about the tranny talking to the DME. I'll be converting my E38 740 within the next couple of years.

#5 ·
I would love to know some DIY's on the auto/manual tranny swap. I have an M20 with 265K on both original tanny and engine and when the tranny goes out I want a maual tranny cause I miss it soooo much but I have done too much to the car and got it going good. To get another car means I have to start over.

#6 ·
Hey medstudent, I and my 7 are going to be in Savannah from Aug 25-28. Wanna meet up?

#8 ·
u should expand your searching online. there's bound to be 1 somewhere. even if the tranny is trans-america, the tranny + whatever the shipping cost might be will still be much, MUCH cheaper than conversion.

Where u at, btw?

* actually, to hv the tranny rebuilt or buying a reconditioned unit will be a cheaper alternative than conversion

#9 ·
it is not a difficult job and it is not very exepnsive if you do it yourself.
I did it with my 87 e30 convertible with m20b25 engine..

remember to connect the brakesensor for your brakelights and the pinout that was connected on the automatic transmission. You have to 'fool' your DME otherwise it won't start when your done..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.