How Do I Get to the LKM? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
longrob is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
How Do I Get to the LKM?

I understand the Light Check Module (LCM) is located in the passenger side kick panel. Where exactly is that, and can anyone give me an idea how to access it?
Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
The kick panel is basically, dependant on which side you drive is the panel to the outer side of the car where your feet rest, opposite your ankle....remove the panel and all will be revealed....

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:01 PM
n00b

MikeMatts is on a distinguished road
You can get to it by peeling back the carpet in front of the passenger door by where the passenger's right foot would be. Problem is, getting to it and replacing it are two different things. Hard to get out and the car needs to be on the computer after it is replaced for programming. Also, don't replace it if you are trying to get your dash/radio lights to become visible during the day. If that is the problem (like mine) you have to live with it unless you want to try to find another string of lights to wire throughout the dash. I replaced my light control module because I had a high beam that would not go off for any reason. Fixed the high beam problem, but not the dim lights throughout dash. Mech told me that it would be expensive to fix all the lights...
#4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

DonJ is on a distinguished road
I guess it depends on the year and model of the car. On my '91 535i the LKM is under the hood inside the fuse box on the driver side. The LKM in my car is slightly smaller than a VHS cassette tape.
I had the problem where my low beams would shut off for a few seconds and then come back on. The fix is to pull the cover off of the LKM and re-solder the relay points on the circuit board. I did a google search on LKM repair and found photos and instructions. This is a common problem not only with bimmers but other makes and models as well.

A friend of mine is good with a soldering iron, so he touched up all of the required points on the circuit board and I haven't had any problems since (did this 3 weeks ago).

You can check ebay for used LKM's but you don't know if they have the same issue - it was a very easy thing to fix and didn't cost anything except a tiny bit of solder.

So I don't know if your LKM is simaler to mine - but google it first and see if anyone has directions on how to repair it.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Neutral Member

longrob is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
After I peel back the carpet, will I see a panel that can be removed?
I have an '02 530i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)