BMW Werkz banner

High pitch noise from transmission

9K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  chinonca 
#1 ·
It seems that i get a high pitched noise from my engine or transmission. its a 1998 e39 with 60k miles on it. at 65mph-75mph i get a noise likes someone is vacuuming next door form the engine compartment. it is louder in 5th gear, and not so loud in 4th gear, but only between that speed. It does not seem to be connected to the rpm because it make the noise in different gears. im worried it seem to be getting louder. anyone????? also what mileage do u change water pump???? thx

#4 ·
Yea go for that first and change the gearbox oil at the same time, If it still does it I would say your diff is shot

#7 ·
i had the same problem with my Auto. if you have an auto gearbox, change the oil and filter. then check again. if symtoms persist, (or if u get this sounds at these speeds whatever gear you are in then goto the diff) changed my oil and filter and shhHhHhhhh!!! sound went away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.